Mitigare for Gout prevention

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Mitigare for Gout prevention

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 1 month ago.

• Author

Antwerpen Seven
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.87

Hi all,

I have reached the age at 54 where my gout attacks are increasing. I have been a gout sufferer since I was 30 but Prednisone quick 4 day doses were fine for the once or twice a year I to an attack. Now I am up to 6-8 times a year and my doc really wants me (as do I) on preventative meds.

My question is this: Few ever talk about it but I have seen that .6mg daily of Mitigare (colcochine) is actually an effective and good place to start for prevention and may be more effective than Alluprinol with less side effects and with good heart benefits. My doctor is not aware of this and wants me on Alluprinol. But I have read some things that Mitigare may be a better solution. I have used it before for a flare up and had no side effects so it’s also something I should be able to tolerate.

Does anyone have any experience with this as an alternative to the two more common preventatives?

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 521.76

People have naturally talked about colchicine here. It’s by far the oldest gout medicine after all! It is not an alternative to allopurinol however. And the side effects of prolonged use are rather serious… colchicine is certainly not a drug you should take for years on end like allopurinol.
    Gout does cause damage over the years if it’s not prevented so it’s unfortunate your doctor hasn’t insisted on allopurinol earlier.
    The main alternatives to allopurinol are: lifestyle/diet changes and another drug called febuxostat. There’s also a class of drugs called uricosurics as well some herbal compounds and compounds found in common foods which are generally less effective. Finally, there’s a very powerful and expensive drug which is injected in the bloodstream. All in all, allpurinol isn’t a bad choice in most cases. There’s a genetic test to prevent bad reactions you can take if you have East Asian ancestry.
    The point of allopurinol and its alternatives is to reduce the amount of uric acid in your body. Colchicine doesn’t do this. Uric acid is routinely measured and knowing the test results is helpful in narrowing down the best options for a particular gout sufferer.
    Good luck!

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from GoutPal’s Log-in Help.