My "pitch" for Allopurinol use

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum My "pitch" for Allopurinol use

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Patrick
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 106.96
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

As a Gout sufferer for over 5 years, my story has been told on this site several times. Long story short, my Rheumotologist was very reluctant to put me on Allopurinol. I literally had to DEMAND it, of which, he finally obliged.

I originally started on 100mgs, but was bumped up to 300mgs 2 months later, as we were not seeing the results we had anticiapted. Fast forward to today and my quarterly blood results are in:

Uric Acid: 4.1
    Blood Glucose: 70
    Cholesterol: 132
    Liver enzymes: Normal
    Kidney function: Normal
    White Cell count: Normal

Body weight: 167 lbs

In 18 months of taking Allopurinol, my Uric Acid has dropped from a high of 9.6 in January 2016, to 4.1 in June 2017. I lead a normal life, I drink occasionally, and eat red meat (what!!!????) in moderation. This lifestyle would NEVER have been possible without Allopurinol. I tried the lifestyle thing. It didn’t work. I tried the Vegan thing. It didn’t work, as a matter of fact, my Uric Acid got WORSE…from 9.2 to 9.6.

The bottom line is this (especially if your Uric Acid is really high like mine was)..medication is your only option. ALL MEDICATIONS have side effects, and yes, I read the thread about the sexual problems on the other post, but me, personally have yet to experience ONE side effect. None. Maybe I’m lucky, who knows. But I lead a normal, Gout free life so far and I intent to keep it that way by doing what I’m doing, along with exercise and proper healthy choices. Keep that in mind when you are trying to decide what you want to do to combat this Gout issue.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1123.04
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I had an unusual allopurinol side-effect, Patrick. Because allopurinol gave me all the benefits of better quality of life that you mention. But, I never expected that hidden boost in my self-confidence that came from taking control. 😀

Also, I remember a fight to get the right dose of allopurinol. Getting started was no problem. But I had to explain to 2 different doctors why 7mg/dL is not low enough!

Time to Dissolve Uric Acid Crystals media

The sooner you start allopurinol, the sooner you dissolve your uric acid crystals!

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.