New to website, looking for longterm solution to my increasing gout flare ups

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum New to website, looking for longterm solution to my increasing gout flare ups

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Rmsogo

After reading some of the posted articles, I am interested in creating a personal gout diet plan.

As a 51 year old male accustomed to being active with my kids, my increasing flare ups concern me enough to try being more proactive in resolving or at least minimizing my pain incidents and flare ups.

Thanks.

Patrick
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 107.86
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Rmsogo,

Are you looking for a diet plan that you think will be a long term solution? If so, you could be in for a life of pain and misery. Diet is but a very small part of controlling Gout.

The first thing you need to do is schedule a blood test to determine exactly how high your Uric Acid is. I’m going to assume that since you mentioned you are having flare ups, that your Uric Acid is above the threshhold and probably above 7.0 or thereabout. It may be even higher. Until you get that information, you’re playing roulette.

Once you get an accurate Uric Acid result, if that result comes back above 5.0, you should be put on a Uric Acid reducing medicine such as Allopurinol or Ulloric. You mentioned your age as 51, so you may have had Gout for several years already. This is why it is imperative to start controlling your Uric Acid levels now. Once you start lowering your Uric Acid below 5.0, your Gout flares should start becoming less frequent.

Couple that with your diet plan, exercise and proper hydration and you should be well on the road to recovery. But just trying to control Gout with diet is not going to work. You will more than likely require medication, but without knowing where your Uric Acid stands right now, and without kidney and liver tests, your doctor will not prescribe the meds you need.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1010.97
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I agree with Patrick. And, I’d also like to make the point that gout diet can work if your current diet is especially bad. But, it takes many months to turn that round. And, during those months, your gout gets worse.

Therefore, it can be a good idea to use allopurinol, or other uric acid lowering therapy alongside diet improvement. That way, you prevent gout getting worse. If bad diet is the only cause of gout, you will be able to stop the allopurinol once diet is healthier.

For some gout sufferers, genetic factors mean you must continue with allopurinol. But, if that is the case, better diet means lower dose, and a healthier life.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.