North Carolina and beyond

Stopping Gout Together Forums General Discussion North Carolina and beyond

This topic contains 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1004.66
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I’m planning a trip to North Carolina, USA, in early Jan 2017. The rough outline is about one week in North Caroline. Then around two weeks traveling around the rail network.

I want you to help me with suggestions for places to visit. If you don’t know anything about North Carolina and surrounding States, you can still help. Tell me where in the world you think I should visit, and why you think it would appeal to me.

If you know America, please suggest some great destinations for me:

• What should I not miss in North Carolina? Why do you think it will appeal to me?
    • Where should I travel to on the rail network after North Carolina? Why do you think I’ll hate to miss it?

The friend I am traveling with is currently on vacation in Canada. We are going to plan the trip towards the end of this month. We haven’t discussed this much yet. But, he has mentioned Charlotte NC and Washington DC. If you know about these cities, please tell me which features you think will appeal to me.

Thank you in advance for your travel suggestions. I appreciate you taking time to give me personal help with planning my vacation.

Carolyn Poulter
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -3.82
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Nt been there but eldest son has and is going to be there in a week or three. I will ask him for tips and post back.

Patrick
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 108.06

Keith, I’ve always been a “West Coast” guy. Born and bred in Southern California. Do yourself a favor and come and visit Southern California. We have some really great cities in California. Even though I live in Los Angeles, 2 of my favorite cities in California are San Francisco and San Diego. Both are fantastic.

San Francisco has some amazing sites to visit, and the surrounding areas are fantastic. If you visit during baseball season, take in a Giants game at AT&T Park. It’s an amazing field, even if you don’t like baseball. Go walk the Golden Gate bridge, or bike over to Sausalito. Take in the Fisherman’s Wharf area for some of the best restaurant’s in the world. But pack a jacket or light coat. They have a saying in San Francisco….”The coldest day I ever spent in San Francisco was one summer day”

If you want to go to the other end of the state, go see San Diego. Plenty of sites to visit there. But I will say, San Diego is more of a spring/summer place to visit. Of course all the seasons are pretty nice, but spring/summer is really when the city is at it’s best. Go north to La Jolla for some amazing beaches. Go to downtown San Diego and visit Old Town for vintage Mexican Food (Gout friendly diet of course). The Hotel Circle area is hopping for entertainment and mass transit is pretty easy. The world famous San Diego Zoo is an easy drive as is Sea World, or just hang out at the Hotel Del Coronado.

Either way you can’t go wrong. California is an amazing place, full of amazing things. Not everyone here is an ego driven, movie star in the making. But yes, we do have our share of idiots. Give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed. Just let me know.

Patrick

Carolyn Poulter
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -3.82
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Hey Patrick, Wow did you ever stir up some memories. I agree, it would be lovely if Keith could ‘Go West Young Man’ too. Though I have only been there a few times. A weekend – I kid you not – just a weekend! in San Francisco 35 plus years ago. A freebie. I stayed at the top of Nob Hill (?) the address alone was cute, the Mark somethignorother hotel. Very old fashioned but terribly upscale. I think there was even a revolving restaurant/bar at the top.

I tottered down the hill the next day to China Town and bought a lovely dress and some bits. Took the cable car back up. SOOO much fun. Then went to Fisherman’s Warf down that funny ziggy zaggy road, I think I am remembering this right, it was a long time ago.

I have always wanted to take my husband there to show him but life has a funny habit of getting in the way of such plans and I doubt it will happen now. I to have been to San Diego and to the zoo. Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is better but grin either is good.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Thanks Patrick and Carolyn.

If my first USA trip was only down to me, I’m certain the places Patrick has kindly suggested would be top of the list. An old neighbor of mine lives in California. I only see her now when she visits her mom – it would be nice to see where she’s built her perfect life. The East Coast is set because my friend who prompted the trip needs to be in NC for a week. I’m gonna enjoy that. But, I’m pretty sure I’ll be planning my next trip.

Carolyn, it’ll be great to see what your son has to say. Is his trip a more extreme way to get peace and quiet? 😉
    But, you’ve set me a challenge. GoutPal San Francisco Tour 2018?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

By the way, the top 10 cities for visitors to my websites are:
    New York
    Los Angeles
    Chicago
    Houston
    San Francisco
    Dallas
    Washington
    Atlanta
    Seattle
    San Diego

So, I can fit Atlanta and Washington in this time.

But, before I do USA West Coast, there’s a Big Country I’ve always wanted to see.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

The trip planning is moving on. If the bastards that owe me money would pay up, I’d have the tickets now. But, that’s another story.

Patrick’s been writing about football recently. It reminded me that I know absolutely nothing about American sports. Might be nice to catch a game in January.

So, all you gouty sports fans. What’s the chance of catching something unmissable in these cities:

Jan 2017
    3-7 Raleigh NC
    8-9 Charlotte NC
    10-11 Atlanta GA
    12-13 Birmingham AL
    14-15 Jackson MS
    16-19 New Orleans LA
    20-22 Washington DC

It doesn’t have to be football. It does have to be worth traveling 5,000 miles 🙂

Patrick
    Participant

While I’m in no way an expert on all East Coast cities it would depend on when you take you trip. If you take your trip in the fall/winter, then that is the heart of American football season. Some of those cities on your list do not have football teams, but there are football stadiums within a short to medium drive (less than 2 hours away), like Jackson MS and Birmingham AL. But the University of Alabama is currently the #1 ranked College Football team in the nation and is housed in Tuscaloosa AL, which is less than an hour away from Birmingham. Alabama football is almost as exciting as professional football.

I would HIGHLY recommend a trip to New Orleans or Washington DC to catch a football game. Both have extraordinary things to do and fun to be had. I’ve never been to Charlotte, but I have heard it is an AMAZING place to visit. Bad thing for Gout sufferers is that it is world renown for its BBQ fare. Ribs, chicken, brisket, hot links, etc. And the night life is awesome. I noticed you didn’t add San Diego, CA but that is another must see.

If you come during spring/summer, than you hit the U.S. during baseball season and a place like Charlotte and Alabama don’t have baseball teams. But you could still go there to visit anyway. Washington DC does, as does Atlanta GA. Again, I’ve been to both, and both are really awesome, but Atlanta in the summer can be quite stifling hot and humid.

Either way Keith (and others), if you DO plan on visiting, hit me up and I will hopefully guide you on interesting things to do and see. I travel the states very frequently and have been all over our great country. Let me know what interests you, and I’ll see if I can help, especially if it’s sports related.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Thank you for that info, Patrick.

As far as different seasons, and different States are concerned, I hope that’s something for later. My January trip is more or less fixed on the dates mentioned. We’ve booked international flights, but still working on some of the internal travel arrangements.

Personally, I’d love to get to California before too long. My friend and I both want to do more international traveling. But, we will finish out first trip before planning the next. But, I can quite imagine we’ll get carried away in New Orleans, and start Googling future locations.

I’ve learned a bit about NFL and College Football since I started this. If you imagine someone with rather less knowledge than the average American 5 year old, you’ll get close to my wavelength! Actually, Patrick, you probably won’t get close to my wavelength. I enjoy some sport, as an armchair fan. I don’t expect to match your fanaticism. But, you never know! I might get hooked from that first game 🙂

Patrick
    Participant

Keith,

Every single destination you mentioned has some great things about it, and around it. You won’t be disappointed in any of them. Like I mentioned, it’s all dependent upon when you travel. Not just for sports reasons, but for other reasons.

The southern US can be tough in the summer. Heat, humidity, mosquitos, tourists, etc can make it less than fun. Same goes for winter in the Northeast.

Regardless, I’d highly recommend a trip across the pond. My wife and I are planning a trip next year to Ireland and Europe for my 50th birthday. A golf and sightseeing trip across the land. I don’t know much about Ireland, other than from what I’ve read, but we’re looking forward to heading there next year.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

“tourists, etc can make it less than fun”

Warning to inhabitants of my list of States (NC, GA, AL, MS, LA, and The District):
    Your fun is about to be spoiled in January 2017! ❗

But, ask yourselves first:
    How much fun will 2 gentlemen tourists bring to you? ❓

😉

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

How crap are the smilies in the latest versions of WordPress?

I show the old versions in the sidebar. And, there’s a clear difference between a smile and a wink. My last message was “tongue-in-cheek”, signed with a wink!

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

The time is fast approaching. My bags are packed and I’m raring to go.

I intend to monitor the forum, but my responses might be delayed. For the next 3 weeks, I’m putting my personal blog first. I want to share my experiences in Keith Taylor Travels.

Not long now, for my first visit, in Raleigh NC. You can see dates for my other visits, above. Give me a shoutout if you’re nearby.

Patrick
    Participant

Have fun and be safe. Too bad you won’t be hitting any West Coast stops, but you definitely have some great cities on that agenda.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Thanks Patrick. And, y’know there’s always another year… 🙂

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

I Love America!

I’m posting this on Amtrak traveling back to Raleigh NC, from Washington DC. The train is clean and tidy. The wifi is good. Amtrak staff are friendly and efficient. Fellow passengers are (mostly) friendly – certainly happier than British Rail victims. (before UK readers chip in with corrections, I know that is inaccurate for 2017 😉 )

I’m not listing those points because they are unusual. Everywhere I’ve traveled so far, I’ve experienced similar service and courtesy.

There’s actually no need to make America great again. It already is!

Patrick
    Participant

Keith,

Glad you had fun here in the states. I hope you didn’t get caught in the big “Woman’s Protest” in Washington DC. You actually hit the nations capital at a time of transition. I’m sure it was quite exciting and hectic.

I hope you got to hit some of the great cities of North Carolina while you were there. Not sure how long your visit was in North Carolina, but aside from Raleigh, Charlotte is a great place as is Chapel Hill. The Blue Ridge Mountains are a fantastic place also.

I hope the weather was OK, as the winter can be a little dicey on the east coast. Glad your trip was great. The US can be a great place.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Oh yes, Patrick, I got caught up in that! Imagine, crammed so tight in the DC metro, you can lift your feet of the floor, and not move! But it was fun! Needless to say, if more of them had turned out to vote for Hilary, the march wouldn’t have been needed. But, of course, I chickened out of saying that on the day.

For the most part, weather was warmer that average. New Orleans was positively tropical! But, we did pay that forward with snow and ice from Storm Helena earlier in the trip.

So, Patrick, I know you believe the West Coast is better. When I plan that trip, you need to be careful. I might never go home! 😀

Patrick
    Participant

So, Patrick, I know you believe the West Coast is better. When I plan that trip, you need to be careful. I might never go home! 😀

Whats to like about 330 days of sunshine, average temperatures of 72 degrees, the most scenic and beautiful coastline anywhere in the world, and the most beautiful women in the world? Sarcasm intentional…

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.