possibility of skewed ua test results

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum possibility of skewed ua test results

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Mark 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Carroll Lee
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.20
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

sorry for the bombardment of ques……one more and i’ll shut up. i have’nt seen this point brought up. have read that prior to taking a ua blood test one should abstain from eating/drinking 4 hrs prior to the test and make it known if you have taken any aspirin/ibup. alcohol and vit.c which might skew test results. my gp never mentioned this. could this fact point to a possible need for a home ua trster? don’t know whether i would totally trust the home tester results but it would at least give you a trend

Mark
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -0.35

I have a home tester and I check it almost every day. I have found that taking it right when I wake up is the most consistent. If you do hard exercise it can get quite high, but then come down in 12h or so. Also, if you do not get a nice, fat drop of blood it seems to screw up the results. If the drop is thin and spread out and you try to “sweep it up” with the strip, it can give weird results. I think mine is called “good life”. I had one day where I checked it at home right after at a doctor and it was within 0.2 mg/DL. A few times, I have done back-to-back and gotten pretty close numbers. Also, checked mine and someone else’s back to back and have shown that a non-gout person can be very low compared to mine (I was starting to wonder if mine read the same number all of the time – no luck). I am going to guess that taking it every day is overkill and can be disappointing, but I have been doing it anyway, trying to learn the effects. For the last 5 months I have drastically changed my eating and drinking habits and started taking supplements. I would say it is a very slow process, but since Oct – no real flare ups. It had been almost 3 years since my first and only “big toe” flare up (which I wrote off as an injury) and my huge flare up in every joint, plus a kidney stone and 5 lumps showing up on my leg. That big flare up was 5 months ago and as far as I know is my second and currently last bout. I am not a doc, and as Keith says, some people can go years between flare ups with no effort at all, so I would not place any merit in my results as far as saying something works or doesn’t work. If going vegetarian and eliminating almost all alcohol doesn’t keep me in the clear, I am definitely going to go the prescription route next.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

sorry for the bombardment of ques……one more and i’ll shut up.

Please don’t shut up. I need the questions! Without them, this forum fails.

I do wonder though, Carroll and Mark. Why does a discussion about uric acid test results not have an actual test result?

Anyway, the general rule is that uric acid varies naturally. So, although you get an exact number, it’s better to think of a range. For example, if your result is 7, best to think it’s 6.5 to 7.5. And, it’s better to test at the same time of day. I’ve no idea why “aspirin/ibup. alcohol and vit.c ” might skew results. If you give me a reference to where you read that, I can assess it.

Mark
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -0.35

Sorry Keith, I am the guy who posted the excel chart with all of my results. Just haven’t updated it in a while.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.