Slightly interesting website – opinions anybody?

Stopping Gout Together Forums General Discussion Slightly interesting website – opinions anybody?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 355.01

@nobody, @keith – just a little read for us;

I’m generally not a believer of all the homeopathy treatments when it comes to gout except the benefits of cherries however I stumbled on this and this. Both sites seem pretty new on the internet. Interesting information up there but not exceptionally new to us.

Now most of the information on those sites we already know however my emphasis is more on the second link here. Aside of he’s attempt to convince us to purchase etc. and I’m not actually sure it will work in my case since I believe I have secondary gout (rapid red cell turnover releasing UA into the blood) so purines don’t really count but have any of you tried to heavily alkalise your diet to see if much lower UA can be achieved? Is this actually feasible?

Another thing I wanted to discuss was he’s opinion on how Febuxostat and Allopurinol work. He makes it clear that these are very damaging, @keith I was wondering if you had any information from your library about long term use of these drugs (Febuxostat being relatively new)?

p.s. He’s statement about Lemon and Vinegar being acidic and dangerous however seems wrong as I understand these turn Alkaline upon entering and metabolising in the body? I have emailed him about this and am still waiting for he’s response.

And… On a more social note, Happy New Year 🙂

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 478.51

Homeopathy is something else.

I don’t understand your blood condition but I would imagine that it causes higher UA through purines (just not dietary purines).

I’m not sure what “heavily alkalise your diet” means but I haven’t noticed any effect on SUA from the amount of magnesium, calcium and so forth in my diet. Then again, because of the noise and the sparse data any effect would have to be quite large to get noticed.
    I have no reason to doubt it has an effect but I would assume the effect varies quite a bit depending on how much UA someone’s body produces, kidney function and so forth.

Unsurprisingly, some of the information on these pages is wrong or presented in a misleading way. For all I know, most of it might be accurate but I certainly wouldn’t bet on that. The anti-pharma verbiage and the fact that a product is being sold are quite the red flags.
    Do you have any reason to trust these sites? Is there any particular morcel you found intriguing or illuminating?

d q
    Participant

Whilst not Homeopathy in the respect of the required components, he is suggesting not to use pharmaceuticals and instead buy this “Calkaline” alternative.

Yes, my gout is due to an increased rate of red cell production. The technicalities are out of the scope of this thread.

I have no particular reason to trust this site neither do I suggest trusting these sites especially since it promotes the selling of a product (or an e.book on other sites) but it seems one can Alkalise their diet at home eliminating the need to purchase he’s product. I too question some of the information on the site and even emailed him but the interest (more so the curiosity) was to know if anyone has actually tried substituting water with alkalised water on a long term basis and seen progress in a way that can be a substitute to common UA lowering drugs.

The very reason I raised this post here was for us to question the possibility.
    Has anyone got research articles or documentation as to whenever its been tried?
    Is the replacement Alkaline water approach (not baking soda) safe / feasible?

d q
    Participant

@anybody – have you tried replacing water with alkaline water and pressing on with it for a period of time?

Jean Clyne
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 41.96

You may know that lemons while considered acidic act as alkaline in the body, so drinking water with lemon is good because it acts alkaline. Another way to easily drink alkaline water is to cut up 1 lemon, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 peeled ginger root and 1/2 cup fresh mint. Put all in jug of water overnight and drink glass in morning on empty stomach, also take during the day. There are many different versions of this, also lists of alkaline high foods that are good to consume. I am currently giving this a try, sounds healthy and can’t hurt body or wallet.

d q
    Participant

@jean – this is exactly what I am thinking of trying but on an intense scale.
    More out of curiosity and interest rather then treatment to start with.

Do you have your uric acid blood levels before you started your trial..?

cheers

Jean Clyne
    Participant

My ua blood levels are always in normal range but did go down after 6 mos on allopurinol. It really caused a lot of side effects for me so went off it abt. 4 mos ago, have since been going alkaline and 300 to 400 mls black cherry juice which has allowed me to be symptom free. Coincidence? Don’t know, time will tell. I should get another ua blood test in a couple more months, will be interesting to see what that shows. My other option is uloric but don’t want to go there unless I really have to, which may be necessary at a later date.

d q
    Participant

Interesting you say that, I was on Allopurinol for about 6 months and although I am not certain, it caused me bad haematological side effects (doctors are not convinced of this however) They believe it could have been because of the inflammation I had at the time. What about yours?

In any case I am on Febuxostat (Uloric) now and things seem to be stable. I’ve been on the drug since the middle of November and going up slowly (breaking pills into half and further into half, etc.).

It would be great to see what your latest UA blood test will show and if the Alkaline approach works.

p.s. How are you achieving your alkaline approach..?

Jean Clyne
    Participant

I am totally vegetarian, eating lots of fruits and vegetables lean towards a more alkaline diet it seems. I drink water that has lemon, ginger, cucumber and mint in it from one of those jugs that has a container in the middle for extras that the water filters through, in addition to probably 300 plus mls of cherry juice a day. There is lots of info out there on alkaline foods versus acidic. I wonder if the bad side effects I got from the allopurinol were because my ua levels were in normal range? Does poor circulation in hands and feet contribute to the gout? I had Achilles tendon thickening that went away totally after 6 mos. on allopurinol,, was that related to gout? Glad to hear uloric is working better for you, sounds like it has a lot fewer side effects. I wish my Dr. would refer me to a rheumatologist who would maybe have some answers to my questions.

d q
    Participant

Hi Jean, sorry for the delayed answer.

I am not too sure what you mean by ‘Bad side effects you got from Allopurinol were because your levels were in the normal range’. Why would you take Allopurinol if you were in the normal range to start with?

In answer to your questions;

Although I am not certain but poor circulation wouldn’t really help as the lower temperatures (less blood to the area) would generally increase the likeliness of Uric Acid crystallising in that area.

Generally speaking long term hyperuricemia will also cause a build up of uric acid in muscle tissue too. So yes, you could have had a build up of uric acid in your muscles which can lead to pain in those areas too. The thickening could have been a result of joint effusion in which your body was in a chronic low grade inflammation state.

Again I am no doctor and base my comments on experiences and tests.

Although high Uric Acid doesn’t always lead to gout I would certainly recommend you keep an eye out on your levels even if you decide not to take any long term medications. I am not trying to deter you from a drug-free approach but it could just be that you are symptom free because Allopurinol did a good job of clearing out lot’s of long term build up over the 6 months you were on it.

Uloric seems to be working but things are a little tricky at the moment with reductions not being entirely fair to dose increases. Let’s see how things develop over the next few weeks.

Jean Clyne
    Participant

My doc said that normal uric acid levels were fairly common in some patients that still had gout. What I wonder is because my uric acid levels were in a normal range, did trying to lower them further with allopurinol cause more side effects than most others that have high ua levels to begin with. The allopurinol did eliminate my gout symptoms and eliminated the Achilles tendon thickening that I did not realize were likely from uric acid deposits. After having those for years, why would they then disappear?At present as I previously said, cherry, alkaline diet and increased dairy consumption have kept the previous gout symptoms away. How long this will work for, I have no idea but so far so good for the past 4 months.Will get uric acid levels tested again soon.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1194.58

I’ve got very mixed emotions on this one @d_q

Because, on one hand, Mr. Hemen Ee from Malaysia seems a nice guy who is just trying to raise some money to support his family.

But, on the other hand, he’s suggesting poisoning us with ionic calcium as a great way to find gout freedom. No ingredients, no safe dosing advice, no suggestion of testing for blood ionic calcium levels or testing urine pH.

So, it’s a dodgy, potentially dangerous, sales pitch for something that is unlikely to work. Also, it begs the question I always ask regarding similar baking soda claims. Why would you risk dangerous chemical imbalance in your body when you fairly easily achieve alkaline urine through healthy diet changes.

Then my emotions go into overdrive, as I realize how little work I’m doing on Foodary and EFSEP. Because they are my projects to encourage healthy eating. Usually, alkaline-diet based, but with easy stages to help the transition from unhealthy Western Diet.

Also, I realize that my reliance on advertising and commission revenue is compromising my integrity. Because I cannot vet all robotically-served adverts to ensure they are not making misleading claims like Mr. Ee’s websites.

So, I’d better commit to moving personal support to a paid service, so that I can remove adverts and commission links. Also, I’ll commit to introducing my Gout Foundation Diet plan. But instead of wasting time working out ways to provide it for free, I will charge for it. Though I hope I can offer generous discounts to you and the other lovely people who commit their time to making my forum better.

And… On a more social note, Happy New Year 🙂

I don’t think it’s too late to return the compliment, @d_q.

So I hope 2018 brings you everything you wish for. And a special thank you for making me think about important things.

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 1194.58

nobody
      Participant
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 478.51

Opinions are a dime a dozen and all but I don’t see your integrity being compromised by random ads. Random ads are everywhere.
      I’d be more wary about the integrity of someone who sells premium content frankly. Not as such of course… it would depend on the premium content, how it’s pushed and so forth.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.