Starting Stephen’s gout diary

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Starting Stephen’s gout diary

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stephen 1 year ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Stephen,

As you can see, I’ve created your personal gout diary forum. So, if you need any help organizing it, please ask.

I called your forum redwing, to match your displayed username. But, if you want me to change it to your name, as per your request post, please let me know. Also, you have one more topic that is in the general gout forum. If you want me to move it here, just ask.

Posting here is just like the general gout forum. Except you have an extra feature – support requests. If you check the box labeled “This is a support topic”, I will respond as my first priority. This is useful, because I see this as your space to make your own notes. Therefore, I don’t usually respond. But, if you mark posts here as a Support Request, I will always respond.

Gout Diary photo

A Gout Diary is the best way to organize your personal gout facts.

Stephen
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 21.37
    GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

Hi Keith..
    yes please move my first post to here…I am wanting to keep things as simple as possible

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

I’ve moved it here, and merged your other topic titled “Support Request” with it.

To create a support request, you create a new topic as normal. It should have a title that summarizes the main reason for your topic. Then, before clicking Submit, you check the box labeled “This is a support topic”.

Stephen
    Participant

Hi Keith…
    can you change the name of this diary to StephenRead’s Gout Diary??
    Thanks…sorry to be hight maintenance, brain not functioning well last little while…
    Stephen

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

OK, Stephen, I’ve changed it. So, I hope that’s better for you. Because I certainly prefer it.

Now, onto a more important issue: Support Request topics. Because I don’t think I’ve explained it very well. But I’m not sure where I went wrong.

In your personal diary area, you can organize your gout facts in any way that suits you. But, it’s good to think about structure, as you have done. Because when you ask a question, it’s very easy for me, or other GoutPal members, to check relevant facts before we respond.

So far, so good. Unfortunately, you’ve marked these as ‘support requests’, by checking the “This is a support topic”. That tells me I should respond to a question. But, these are not questions. So, I don’t know how to respond.

Stephen, I hope these teething troubles don’t discourage you. Apart from this tiny issue, I think you are doing a fantastic job in helping me learn more about you.

I hope you have a moment to review your topics. Then, check the support status dropdown at the top of the post. For those topics that are just facts, please change them to “Not a Support Topic”. Then, for any topics where you are waiting for a response from me, change the status to ‘Unresolved’.

I hope this is clear. If not, please ask for clarification, and I’ll try to explain the process better. Also, I’ll raise my priority for completing documentation.

Stephen
    Participant

did not think I would post here again, but having a really rough
    time. Had to stop allopurinol, then started it again as gout was hurting…
    then Doc wanted me to try febuxostat. Two days in and feel worse, major dizzynes,
    not sure if its the med or my heart…one very confused and hurting old guy…
    I have a feeling that none of these meds is going to work for me

Stephen

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 470.84

Hi Stephen,
    Chances are you are taking too much febuxostat. Doctors are clueless about this but I see no reason for you to take more than 20mg a day at this stage. You could also try taking the pill at a different time of the day (such as before going to sleep).
    There are other pills than allopurinol and febuxostat and they work completely differently but they require a safety test (it basically involves pissing in bottles the whole day) before you try them. You’ve simply been given the pills which usually work best first.

Stephen
    Participant

Hi Nobody…
    the smallest dosage in Canada is 40mg, but the doctor I see does not seem to be aware of that.
    I think I would be better off again trying Allopurinol, I did not feel this bad on it.
    Thanks for the input…
    Stephen

Stephen
    Participant

Hi there…
    In the middle of a few health issues at present, and gout is one of the top three, lol.

I have been off all medications, that is Allopurinol, Febuxostat and Colchicine.
    Allopurinol and Febuxostat really lowered my blood pressure, and the doc I see I dont think knows what to do with me. I have been trying various herbal products:
    Urica by AOR, Pantothenic acid along with all the B’s, and sour cherry juice.
    The gout is a little painful but I have had no flares since stopping the meds. Not really sure if the herbs actually do anything though…:-)
    My other concern is diet. I have a vegan wife whom I caregive to, so most of the food I eat is vegan, with some goat dairy, chicken and salmon added for my benefit…no not all at the same time…I know there is a diet section so will go over there after I have posted here.
    I guess I will need to start two new threads:
    1. How to deal with gout, are there alternative medications that dont lower BP??
    2. The best diet for me in my situation
    Stephen

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.