Swollen big toes for 5 months… GOUT?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Swollen big toes for 5 months… GOUT?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

[email protected]
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 3.43

Like the title says, my big toes have been swollen for about 5 months.

I injured my right big toe doing renovations and it didn’t hurt a whole lot at the time, but the next morning… oh wow. It’s the most pain I’ve ever felt. Any movement, a cough, a breeze was enough to cause pain. Then, my other toe got progressively worse. At first, it seemed to start acting up without any injury at all.

Fast forward a few months, and my knees, ankles, right shoulder, thumb, wrist, and fingers were all inflamed. After a month of prednisone, I’m mostly back to normal… except for my toes.

Could it be gout? I thought that gout eventually went away, but I’m looking for answers. Maybe it’s chronic. I have no idea.

I used to be a fairly heavy drinking if that helps. 375ml of rum a night. It has been a month and a half since drinking.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 569.05

These aren’t typical gout symptoms. It usually develops slowly, affecting the feet for years before moving on to causing inflammation all over the place (and normally it would only affect one location at a time).
    Some people get unusual gout symptoms of course. Alcoholism (as well as reducing dramatically one’s consumption) could contribute to an unusual evolution of the disease I guess.
    But I think you should try to rule out other diseases before assuming these symptoms are caused by gout. Ideally, a skilled hand would take fluid from an inflamed joint to confirm that you have gout. A DECT scan might be a more reliable alternative to detect uric acid crystals if you are lucky enough to have access to that.
    Normally the first thing to do would be to get a uric acid blood test which is quicky and easy but in your situation it could yield a false negative and would in any case not confirm gout. Still, the test is so cheap that I would recommend you get such a test done ASAP. Just don’t assume the result will be definitive so try to schedule a rheumatologist appointment and get ready for more tests.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from GoutPal’s Log-in Help.