Tophi as first symptom of gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Tophi as first symptom of gout

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Julie Donnell

I have lumps on my finger that are suspected gouty tophi. I will have an ultrasound scan to confirm this shortly and I am expecting confirmation. In the last few days a small opening developed on my finger and I was able to squeeze out very small amounts of chalky fluid.

Once the diagnosis is confirmed then my doctor will prescribe allopurinol. I understand it is quite unusual for tophi to be the first symptom of gout as it usually forms after someone has been experiencing gout for some years.

A blood test showed my uric acid to be within the normal range. I have now read a fair amount of information about gout and tophi but I do not seem to be a ‘normal’ patient as tophi is my first symptom.

Do you have any advice I should follow at this stage in order to manage the gout that will become a part of my life?

I will form a plan but I think the first step will be to get onto the medication?

Thank you for any advice.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Gout pain is actually a complicated process, Julie. Because of that, some people do not get the painful immune system response that average people get. So, in some ways that’s a blessing. But, it also means you get a huge uric acid crystal burden before you get to treating your high uric acid.

However, it seems like you have a good idea to start allopurinol. So, let’s hope that idea becomes a good plan. If you need help with planning your allopurinol therapy safely, just ask.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.