Unsure of the advisability of current treatment

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Unsure of the advisability of current treatment

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

larry wagner
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.33

I’m a 73 year old male. First had gout symptoms around 5 years ago. Pain and swelling in big toe. My doctor prescribed allopurinol. The first evening i took 1/2 a tablet. I must have been afraid of it, which is not normal for me. I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. I was so dizzy i nearly fell. That was the last time i took allopurinol. Within days I had laser surgery on my left leg. The vericose veins were worse on that leg and my gout was in my left big toe. The swelling and pain in my toe started to go away immediately. In a short time my gout was gone. As time went on, I began to get twinges in the left toe again. It felt like the gout might come back. I found an article on the internet about using baking soda. Again, the gout went away. At times the twinges would return. I upped my intake of baking soda from 1/8 oz to as much as 1/2 oz temporarily. Two weeks ago a friend brought us drinking water from his water ionizer. He told me taking baking soda was dangerous. I stopped using the baking soda. I eased into the ionized water upping my percentage each day. I began to have acid reflux and other symptoms. I quit the ionized water and the acid reflux and flu like symptoms stopped.I’m ready to try other forms of uric acid control. I’m 6′ and weigh 205. I have lost 20 lbs in the last 18 months through a reduced sugar and carbohydrate diet. I believe the diet reduced the frequency of the twinges in my left big toe. I’m willing to take herbs or a medication if a med other than allopurinol is necessary. I have many allergies.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 502.51

Hello,
    As you know, the point of allopurinol is to reduce the amount of uric acid in your system. Since I don’t know your blood test results or anything else about how much uric acid there is in your system, I don’t know how badly you needed it.
    If you are getting side effects, there are alternatives to allopurinol. Some alternatives are much more effective than others. It comes down to which of the alternatives would be least dangerous in your case while being effective enough. And I know next to nothing about the health challenges you face.
    So maybe it would be best if you saw a doctor about this? Ideally it would be a doctor who knows you well. Rest assured there are solutions!

larry wagner
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. My uric acid level was in range 4 years ago when my doctor prescribed allopurinol. It was 3.7 if i recall correctly. At that time the pain and redness was very specific to the outer edge of the joint at the base of my big toe. The top of my foot was swollen as well. My doctor said it was gout. The surgery on my veins and continuing to wear support hose likely boosted the blood circulation in the foot. I will search on the website for diet ideas and herbal supplements. I do not have a great amount of faith in my doctor’s experience with gout. I live a substantial distance from experienced physicians in specialties. Thanks again!

nobody
    Participant

3.7 doesn’t sound right. If at all possible, I would recommend getting a copy of the results of your old tests.

larry wagner
    Participant

My UA at was at 5.1 on my last test in February 2017. I was using baking soda in water at that time. Since discontinuing both the baking soda and the ionized water 10 days ago I am feeling discomfort in my toes. I have started back on the baking soda. Hope you might have another suggestion for me. Thanks, Larry

nobody
    Participant

5.1 is less implausible but you need more data. If you haven’t gotten another test since, I suggest you schedule one. Try to retrieve your old test results while you’re at it. Depending on the results, you’ll need to take a second test after abstaining baking soda and stuff for several weeks.
    You’ll need a broader picture than just your uric acid by the way: at a minimum, you want to know your test results for kidney and liver function as well as your blood pressure.
    So it would be best if you could see a doctor to talk about this. Depending on your medical situation, there are different alternatives to allopurinol you could look into.

larry wagner
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I will comply with your suggestions. It may take a while. I have been taking annual physicals for over 20 years. Twelve years ago I had been experiencing frequency and my PSA went slightly out of range. Part of my prostate was removed. That corrected the frequency and the PSA. Fifteen years ago I retired from full time work. My blood pressure went from 125 over 90 to 120 over 80 and has continued to drop over the years. It is now around 95 over 65. In the early years my cholesterol was borderline. My doctor gives me what I believe to be a complete CBC. The items I mentioned are the only ones to have ever been out of range. I exercise daily and my father and mother passed at 89 and 96 respectively. I thank you for your efforts.

nobody
    Participant

I’m glad to read you’re in such good health. Men in my family do not get that old. But you did say “I have many allergies.” So I think you should make sure there’s a good reason for you to try potentially harmful drugs or herbs. That’s what the blood tests should establish.
    Something else I didn’t think about earlier: if baking soda and ionized water work for you, it may be because you are correcting a problem with your diet or metabolism. Most people get enough minerals simply by eating fruits and vegetables. So in addition to the blood test, maybe get your urine’s acidity checked (and possibly your blood’s as well). Perhaps a doctor would know something else worth checking in a patient who seems to benefit from baking soda.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.