Why always highlighted as a high risk for gout?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Why always highlighted as a high risk for gout?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Neil Hunter 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Neil Hunter
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.87
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Hello,

I would like to give a little background first. I’m a 33 year old male, slightly overweight but only a few kg. I had never had a gout attack in my life, but in the last 1.5 years I’ve had about 6 attacks.

After the last attack I decided to change my diet to try to fix this problem.

After a little research I read that beer (which I do frequently enjoy) and meats are common causes.

After reading for a few hours I noticed that red meat such as beef (my favourite meat) are often highlighted as bad for gout, perhaps my search was not exhaustive, but many sites mention the dangers of beef.

I read about chicken (my second favourite meat) and read how lean cuts of this are the best.

So from that day I eliminated beef and replaced my meat with chicken breast.

In several months I have not had any gout attacks.

Today, after really craving beef I decided to recheck tables of purine contents per 100g of different cuts of beef. What then surprised me was that for both purine and Uric acid, most cuts of beef are better than chicken breast.

So is 100g of a lean cut of beef actually better for me than 100g of chicken breast?

If this is true then why is beef always highlighted as a “danger meat” whilst lean chicken breast is advertised as a “smart choice”.

If I have missed something important about purines, uric acid and why beef is a danger meat then please let me know. Because if not I’m going to happy add beef back to my diet.

P.S. My daily intake of meat didn’t change, I simply swapped out beef for chicken in the same portion size.

Thank you

Neil

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 471.15
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Chicken breast actually seems pretty bad purine-wise. There are several typed of purines which do not have the same effect. I don’t eat meat so I haven’t looked into the issue but the japanese numbers I just looked at suggest that in addition to its large purine content, the purines mix in chicken breast is worse than in most beef cuts. But the samples might have been biased.

There’s a chance a period without attacks simply coincided with your chicken diet. More extensive trials would be needed to establish that there really is a relationship.

Gout is not all about purines, and it might be something else in beef which triggers gout in some people. It might even depend on how the animal was raised or its health as opposed to the nutritive value of the meat. When something hasn’t been studied properly, you never know.
    The fat in many beef cuts might be a problem. Certainly that’s a major difference with lean chicken parts. The processing of different types of fats in the human body has been (indirectly) linked to gout attacks.
    And for all we know the problem many seem to have noticed with red meat might have to do with the way people tend to cook or season it rather than with the meat itself. The side-dishes people tend to eat with chicken might also differ.
    What we do know is that eating meat of any kind is associated with an increased risk of gout.
    At the end of the day, avoiding triggers is only a way to delay the inevitable and the only way to cure gout is to lower the amount of uric acid in your body. Measuring the amount of uric acid in your blood when you are feeling well is the cheapest way to know if a time bomb is ticking or if you’re actually solving your gout problem.

Neil Hunter
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.87
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.