Thoughts on protein.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Lance
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 15.85

Hey all! Working through a viable gout diet and running into protein deficiencies several days a week. I’m working a meatless 40-30-30 plan but am coming up light on protein. Does anyone have thoughts around protein powders? I’m conscientious of iron levels and have found some with low iron. Anything else to be concerned with? I know shakes kind of cheat the process but for those days where I’ve run out of other options…

http://www.goutpal.com/gout-diet/gout-treatment-diet/40-30-30-gout-diet/

Secondarily once I get my gouty diet on track I’d like to get back in the gym and increased protein will take on a greater role. You can check out my personal diary for more info.

Thanks for any insight!

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 502.51

There are common non-meat foods with more than 30% protein content such as soybeans and some hard cheeses, even before discounting stuff like fiber and water which doesn’t figure into this ratio. And once you do remove the other stuff, eggs for instance have a ratio like 2/54/44 (don’t quote me on this, I’m guesstimating) and partly-skimmed milk ought not to be very far from the target. So at least if you’re not vegan, you ought to be able to achieve the target… but at what cost and to what end?
    I wouldn’t follow slavishly what a study did, especially if it required using “powders”. What’s their justification for the protein and fat levels?
    Maybe I’m not thinking outside the box but my guess is that there aren’t enough healthy non-meat foods with the right ratios to allow for a reasonably varied 40/30/30 meatless diet inclusive of all the healthy foods low in protein and/or fat you’d want to eat.
    On the other hand, if the general idea has merit, you ought to be able to get fairly close without bending backwards. Surely there’s nothing magical about 30 as opposed to, say, 26!

You shouldn’t focus too much on the fact some people have achieved an UA reduction with that diet because:
    -one’s UA level is not determined primarily by the carbs/protein/fat ratio of one’s diet and people have reduced their UA without eating so much protein and fat
    -you have to compare the diet’s effect on UA with the effect of other diets as well as with your previous diet(s), not with whatever the study participants ate before that study
    -gout symptoms during the process of UA reduction aren’t driven by UA levels alone and I bet there’s for instance a reason gout patients are told to watch the fat they eat (I’m not saying all fat is bad though)

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1170.15

I agree with nobody’s “You shouldn’t focus too much on the fact some people have achieved an UA reduction with that diet”.

But, to help a little with exactly what you’re looking for Lance, have a look at my High Protein Foods list. Initially, it’s ordered by the amount of protein in a 100g serving. In the first 100, I spotted a couple of cheeses, my beloved spinach, asparagus, broccoli, and eggs. Also, it begs the question if the macronutrient ratio should balance over a day or a week???

Anyway, I’ve included that 40-30-30 (Zone) diet page in my suggestion: Review Foundation Diet Pages. I’m suddenly taken by the idea that a great way to start gout dieting would be:
    1. Arrange monthly uric acid tests (doc, lab, or home, according to preference).
    2. Between tests, trial one of the foundation diets.
    3. Repeat with second and third choices.
    4. Compare uric acid test results, and repeat trials if necessary.
    5. Choose preferred eating style then tweak for better uric acid control, as required.

It would probably help to track weight. Also, exercise if that is significant. Personally, I’d include gout symptoms. But, I’m a data geek!

Also, personally, I’m not a fan of protein supplements. Unless you call smothering everything with spinach a form of supplementation! So, I’d definitely investigate safety research before starting any supplement.

Cheesy Baked Spinach for Gout photo

Who wants Cheesy Baked Spinach for Gout Protein?

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.