Is Quorn good for Gout?

Is Quorn high in Purines?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Is Quorn high in Purines?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca Nahid 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 87.16

Anyone know of any studies that link eating corn to causing gout flares a lot of the Quorn products in the UK and I’ll suitable for vegans and no they’re very good high protein and low fat but what worries me is I’ve heard anecdotal reports in the past of Quorn causing gout flare-ups I can’t see why that would be. Thank you

Is Quorn good for Gout?

What’s your favorite Quorn recipe for gout?

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 502.41

Apparently some Quorn products are now vegan. But they are not plants products and so I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone with gout or even asymptomatic hyperuricemia. The vegan products are probably even worse than the Quorn products made with eggs.
    My assumption would be that mycocultures contain nowhere as many purines as yeast but still quite a bit more than legumes. At least one study has compared this stuff to soy products but of course the various ways industrial products are processed could yield various amonuts of purines in the final product. Maybe ask the manufacturer…

Plants are safer. What’s wrong with lentils?

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant

http://www.ukgoutsociety.org/docs/diet_factsheet.pdf

^ this plus lots of other stuff online, lentils keep coming up as something that should be consumed in moderation this is why I am confused, as why would it be bad to eat Quorn also in moderation? I do eat processed soya in moderation for example Linda Mcartney sausages, but not every day and I balance them out with plenty of vegetables. this is why I get so confused and frustrated lol

nobody
    Participant

The recommendations you linked to aren’t for vegans. They recommend dairy over legumes. And indeed I eat a lot more cheese than lentils.
    But since dairy isn’t an option for you, you have to settle for the next best thing. And in order to do that, you need more specific information than what these recommendations provide because as it is, the foods vegans should eat for protein are basically all in the “eat in moderation” category.

Based on the limited information I have about meat substitutes, the ones based on plants contain a good bit less purines. Yes, Quorn products contain less purines than the really dangerous stuff like yeast or anchovies. But that doesn’t mean you should disregard the difference between Quorn and plant-based products.
    In my opinion, the only rule you have to follow in order to be safe purine-wise is to stick to plants. There’s probably no need to make it more complicated even though there are a few dangerous things unreasonable people could in principle do with plants. At first I didn’t think you’d have to follow any rules because I figured that as a vegan you’d only want to eat plants anyway. Goes to show how little I know…

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant

There is nothing wrong per se in just wanting a change sometimes I like lentils chickpeas beans etc but I do get bored and I’m not one of these perfect vegans that just lives off the land. occasionally I do fancy a processed vegan burger or ice cream I don’t drink don’t smoke and to be honest I need a couple of vices now and then that’s why I asked about Colin I saw an advert yesterday for the corn nuggets and just thought you know what I really fancy that sometimes I just don’t feel like lentils

nobody
    Participant

On a “now and then” basis, Quorn products are probably harmless (barring rare allergies and whatnot).
    Purines add up when you eat a type of food frequently. If you eat something often enough that the fat content, protein mix and so forth are an issue, purines may be an issue as well. If not, enjoy…

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant

Thank you yes, I didn’t mean it would be something regularly eaten but when I see adverts for new Quorn vegan products I don’t want to make myself miserable but telling myself “I can’t eat that” do you know what I mean? I am considering looking at the Slimming World plan to get some excess weight off it is quite good for vegans and I think will encourage me to eat a wider range of plant proteins.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.