Reply To: What is going on with the price of Colchicine?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum What is going on with the price of Colchicine? Reply To: What is going on with the price of Colchicine?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Patrick, there’s been so much debate on this over the years, I don’t know where to start. I’ll try to recap. This is from memory, so forgive me for any slight errors.

The FDA gave what is now Takeda a license for monopoly supply of colchicine, branded as Colcrys. Up to then, colchicine had never had full approval (it was called an ‘orphan drug’). This was a few years ago, and caused considerable outrage at the time.

Some people took the Canada route that Stephen describes. I also reported a legal workround through the “compounding pharmacy” route. There is also a discount scheme for low-income gout sufferers.

But, the Colcrys monopoly was only granted for 3(?) years. Generic colchicine should be available. I’ve seen reports that it is being licensed. And, I’ve asked for people to find out for me, what the situation on the ground is:

Lingering pain/weakness 6 weeks after initial flair

Krystexxa Experience

I’m hoping to get time in January to chat to friendly pharmacists in the Southern States. Also, I’m in DC for Inauguration Day (coincidence!). I’ll try find out what The Donald thinks 🙂 😉