Reply To: Why colchicine with Allopurinol and Indomethacin?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Why colchicine with Allopurinol and Indomethacin? Reply To: Why colchicine with Allopurinol and Indomethacin?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Maurice, I can’t tell you how happy I am with your positive tone. I’m looking forward to you posting a message in future that you are free from gout. And, I hope you’ll return to encourage other gout sufferers to follow in your footsteps.

As for the allopurinol dose increase, I went from 300 to 600 to 900. That sequence fits the tablet size. 2 weeks after each dose increase, I had blood tests. Uric acid test confirmed that my uric acid level continued to fall. Kidney function and liver function tests confirmed I had no side effects. Those 3 tests are important for all gout sufferers at least once a year. And, they should be repeated whenever medications are changed. Changes include new medicines, or dose increases.

Any new gout patients reading this should note that my 300mg allopurinol dose was preceded by 100, then 200mg. And, if you are of Han Chinese, Thai, or Korean descent, you should get a genetic screening test before starting allopurinol.

There is no advantage from splitting allopurinol doses during the day. Allopurinol breaks down very quickly in the body to oxipurinol. Both help reduce uric acid production. Oxipurinol stays in the body for up to 2 weeks. The implications of that are:
1) It doesn’t matter too much if you miss one day (but try with all your might not to!).
2) Blood test results need 2 weeks after dose changes for results to be accurate.

Good luck Maurice! It sounds like you are well on the way to becoming a Gout Champion. 🙂