Reply To: First Gout Attack – Is Colchicine or Naproxen best?

nobody
Participant

Assuming there is no injury or other problem besides gout, the pain and sewlling should have abated quicker. There are special cases where little can be done but you haven’t said anything which would suggest that you are one such case.
Could you state how much colchicine and naproxen you have been instructed to take? Not taking enough will of course not result in the ideal outcome (your weight might be relevant). Have you been told you shouldn’t take both drugs simultaneously? Have you had an opportunity to discuss higher doses or other drugs with your doctor(s) since you noticed that the drugs you were taking weren’t as effective as one could hope?
Rather than soaking your whole body in fairly nasty drugs, there is also the option of injecting (or infiltrating less invasively) drugs exactly where your symptoms are.

Other than drugs, my personal opinion is that resting the affected joint is best. Raising it above your heart should also reduce swelling. But at the same time I think occasionally stimulating bloodflow helps. Bathing the affected joint in hot water is generally recommended but getting your heart pumping by bathing/showering or by exercising (in a way that lets the affected joint rest fully) is in my opinion better.
Finding a way to physically support the affected joint may be helpful because your muscles work unconsciouly in many positions. What they use in hospitals for feet is nice for instance but overkill. Psychological relaxation is also helpful (you may want to try something like vipassana if you don’t have favorite methods).
Drinking lots of water is a good idea but I don’t know about drinking lots of coffee. Coffee isn’t bad for gout in the long run, mind you. It’s just something I wouldn’t overdo when taking largish doses of unfamiliar drugs.
My opinion is that you should also avoid prolonged exposure to cold and if necessary wrap the affected joint delicately to keep it warm.