Reply To: How to take control of my gout after 30 years.

Keith Taylor
Participant

Gary, I must apologize for introducing the idea of monthly blood tests. That was in relation to my suggestion that allopurinol is the correct medical treatment for you. So, if you do not want to pursue that with your doctor, then please forget my suggestion. But, if you do want to push for proper medical treatment, I will look for some Canadian guidelines that show allopurinol is the correct medical treatment in your situation. Also, if you are getting allopurinol treatment, uric acid monitoring is definitely your doctor’s responsibility. So, in that case, buying a monitor would be pointless, in my opinion.

Now, let’s think about other alternatives for controlling your dangerous uric acid level: herbal gout medicine or lifestyle changes. In either case, a uric acid monitor can be useful. Personally, I think it’s best to have an outline plan before investing in a uric acid meter. But, I accept they are cheap enough to just buy one to see if it suits you.

Maybe you’ve seen the discussion about Where can I buy an Accurate Uric Acid Monitor?. Because, there’s been a recent post about comparing different uric acid meters. However, I’m still of the opinion that the UASure uric acid meter is the best tool for the job. Arctic Medical are global distributors of that meter. But, although they are based in the UK, they do provide global pre-sales and customer support. Anyway, only you can judge if it’s easier to deal direct or through your brother-in-law.

I’m sorry if I confused you, and I hope this clarifies your choices. Also, I hope I can continue to help you decide your best way to get rid of your gout.