Reply To: Allopurinol Dose Change, Pain Location Change

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Allopurinol Dose Change, Pain Location Change Reply To: Allopurinol Dose Change, Pain Location Change

d q
Participant

Hi Keith,
With regards to the first post, I am so sorry about your accident and depression resulting in you stopping Allopurinol for a period of time. I know stopping for a period of time was generally part of your overall plan but I’m sure the depression and accident wasn’t – If you feel like talking about this, please do, I’m all ears. In any case its good news to see you back up and fully recovered and ready for action. If you haven’t had any attacks during your Allopurinol vacation then this is generally a good sign that it is possible. I will be sure to investigate the option further down the line, maybe January next year which will be my first year anniversary on Allopurinol. Hopefully all crystals dissolved and uric acid well controlled. With regards to your second post, as Tawrikit (nobody) posted, those results are absolutely correct. I’ve been on 400mgs for little over 2 weeks now and I will get tested either this week or early next week. I wanted a full 3 week to pass before checking levels to get a more accurate picture. Despite the little inflammation remaining from my 8 week gout attack! and the foot pain in general also seems to have settled. I think the move from 200mgs to 300mgs to 400mgs within a reasonably short period of time alongside the regular walking caused a surge of debulking to occur which is why this attack is taking so long! Once we get the latest results we can probably assume with more accuracy why this attack lasted so long. The target maintenance level that my rheumatologist wanted me on was under

Hi Tawrikit, thanks for posting those results quicker then I could get to them :). They are spot on and as you say are all the results during the dosage increases. I also think you are right in saying I’m not getting tested regularly enough but to be honest I just want to come out of this attack first. I agree that as per your previous post in a separate thread that these results are not quite as accurate as they should be because we haven’t arrived at equal equilibrium yet. I think now that things have settled quite well, the results we see will give a clearer picture. This in turn will as you say allow us to reach that maintenance dose quicker. I visited my GP today and highlighted to her exactly what you told me about the concentration levels being higher at first and if they will drop as crystals dissolve and moving down to a lower dose later and this is in fact 100% true, as the crystals dissolve levels go up, and once they are all ‘dissolved’ so to say, UA levels should generally just drop even further. Hopefully that will get me down to taking just 300mgs a day and not the 400mgs when things settle. Thank you for that.

I’ve got all my blood forms from my GP and will get the tests done shortly.
I’ll update you both on how it goes.