Reply To: Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus Reply To: Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus

Keith Taylor
Participant

Hi Gainesville Gout Sufferer,

I hope you can see from my earlier replies that your surgeon was right to be cautious. Because surgery to remove tophi is a risky procedure. But, self-mutilation, under-qualified lancing, or simple neglect are all too common. Then, without careful, sterile, tophi removal, surgical washing, and medical dressing, the risks of infection are high.

Also, burst tophi are often slow to heal. Because the damage you experience with your own tophus can affect skin healing.

However, you should search for tophus removal using the search box at the top of the page. Because the first result is Tophi Removal Without Surgery. So, that picture proves you can ‘liquefy a hard tophus’. But, only by lowering uric acid.

I’m surprised your surgeon hasn’t referred you to a rheumatologist. Because you need to get your uric acid as low as you can. Starting, as soon as you can.

If you need help with that, you can reply to this topic. But, I think it would be better if you log in and start your own new topic.