Reply To: Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare Reply To: Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare

Tavery (old forum)

It’s funny to read your posts because they are nearly carbon copies of my own posts over the last few months. I was at this stage a couple months ago and asking the same question.

Yes, it will get better. I had lingering soreness for quite a while also and it will eventually fade.

For general soreness, I would stick with Ibuprofen and only go back to Indo if the pain became problematic. In general, if you continue on a path similar to mine, it will go something like this.

• Soreness around bunion, by the end of the day you are ready to put your feet up. Wife gets mad the grass isn’t getting mowed and the dog crap needs to be picked up.
  • Soreness fades after three days or so, but the area is still sensitive to the touch (i.e. it hurts if you push on the bunion area) This lasts a couple weeks and you spend a lot of time in loose fitting shoes or soft slippers. You mow the lawn, but by the early evening, you are looking for excuses to park your butt on the couch in the evening. Folding laundry became a personal favorite.
  • Twinge! You wake up one morning and feel something not quite right but it’s not debilitating either. You pop some drugs and up your water intake. It goes away by the next day.
  • You slide back into your old routine a bit and after a few weeks you wake up with that familiar pain of a flare-up, except this time it’s maybe half as bad as your original. You hobble and whine a lot and the wife reaches deep into her well of patience to keep from killing you.
  • You hobble to the computer and spend the $150 to order a home test kit from Britain.
  • Drugs, water and a week later you are back to something resembling normal. Just in time to get your new home test kit. Number fascination ensues. You spend a lot of time thinking about how to best poke your finger so you get a great blood sample.
  • You spend a month or two being attack free and you think that with the diet changes, a bit more exercise and self-monitoring you got this gout stuff licked.
  • One morning you wake up to yet another twinge and you analyze everything you have eaten/drank for the past week and can’t find a solid reason for a gout flare-up. Now you are in pain AND pissed.
  • Tired of laying awake and thinking about your own mortality and tired of trying to fight it, you then go back to the doctor and request 100mg of Allopurinol and set a date three months hence for another review.
  • You are on a pill every day for the rest of your life, but you sleep better. You make a few changes to your lifestyle anyway because you know it’s the right thing to do.

😎