Reply To: Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet Reply To: Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet

nobody
Participant

Vegetarian diets are basically gout-friendly because they’re not vegan diets.
You know the research suggesting vegans have higher uric acid. You know that not consuming dairy is correlated with having higher uric acid. That may be the most significant difference between vegan and non-vegan diets as far as uric acid is concerned. But you also know that some plants contain problematic amounts of purines. Yet you have decided that these purines are not a problem. Talking about unreasearched statements, why would purines affect the body differently because they’ve come from a plant?
In many cases, yes: dietary purines are a distraction. Certainly purines from plants isn’t the first thing one ought to look at. But someone who can’t tolerate meds and has uric acid test results that high may benefit from an unusually strict diet.

Unrelated but in case you didn’t know, Stephen: Brad is correct about drinking water. In my mind, that’s not filed under “diet” so I forgot to mention it.