Reply To: Lasix (furosemide) as a cause of Secondary Gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Lasix (furosemide) as a cause of Secondary Gout Reply To: Lasix (furosemide) as a cause of Secondary Gout

Dianne

Gout, Losartan, Telmisartan & Colbenemid

I have had gout for 25 years …mostly controlled…limited to left big toe I think so far…(gout began when I got off prescription dope when I got sober oddly enough-sober for 25 years in AA…seems damned unfair..but I digress)..took Allopurinol for 1 year after diagnosis, developed hideous allergy back in 1984…since then on Colbenemid, Lasix 10 mg and HCTZ 12.5 and about 6 years ago neph placed me on Telmisartan 80 MG when we could not get the bottom number below 90..regimen worked fairly well …twinges but nothing full blown. Lately lots more twinges related to next paragraph….

OK…developed lesion on my lower lip about 3 months which would not heal and have had red coloration in the skin of my lips for years which I just ignored…a lesion that would not heal finally caused me to say ok..what is this?. it’s apparently related to thiazide….it’s not cancer…we are sure of that…..quit the HCTZ (was taking 12.5 mg) and continued with the 10 mg of Lasix…10 mg of Lasix just is not getting it done as a diuretic (I also may have a sulfa allergy too-yes I know Colbenemid is sulfa based)….that did not work very well…. have tired Edecrin 12.5 as a non sulfa, non thiazide loop diuretic which is great for about 36 hours then toe really starts to twinge…that was yesterday’s experiment….so today am back on 20 mg of Lasix and considering trying losartan in lieu of telmisartan since losartan is supposed to have some urosincic efffects…there is lots of stuff on the web including this website (thank you so much for this website guys) about lasix at 7 and losartan at 11 or a similar regimen…take them on a certain schedule…

My GFR is 59, kidney values normal but GFR is 59 (low) due to the ratio of values…probably creatinine being too high….I am 62, white female, thin, 128 lbs, 5’7″…long distance walker and I run races too…virtually vegan..eat no animal protein except an occasional egg white…am watching protein…trying to stay around 21 to 28 grams daily since I know protein restriction works…

Am looking for anyone who has got some “experience, strength and hope” on this as we say in AA…

Thanks so much for any feedback on this…

Also, I know losartan is not very good at lowering BP which is another competing concern since my dad had a stroke at 47…bad gene pool…he was another alcoholic..just never got to AA…

Dianne