Reply To: Allergic to Allopurinol

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Allergic to Allopurinol Reply To: Allergic to Allopurinol

nobody
Participant

I’m going to answer both your posts here.
I’ve been aware of the issue with cardiovascular deaths linked to febuxostat long before this hoopla. I don’t know exactly what’s going on but I don’t think you should rule out febuxostat simply because it’s got a black box. Your risk factors would need to be considered in light of the available data.
One thing I do know is that febuxostat is often used incorrectly, even by doctors who are suffering from gout themselves. Unfortunately, finding a doctor who understands gout and related issues can be very difficult. Should you manage to find a doctor you trust and who knows what they’re doing, simply ask them what (if anything) you should take.
If on the other hand you want to become your own doctor, the first questions you need to ask are:
-what did you hope to achieve with allopurinol or febuxostat? The main effect of these drugs is to lower the amount of uric acid in your blood. And no one can give you sensible advice about how to achieve that without knowing how much there is in your blood in the first place (or what you’d like that number to be).
-did you get hives because of allopurinol or was that a coincidence? Did you try to take colchicine on its own after these hives went away for instance?