Gout treatment is easy!
All you have to do is lower uric acid to safe levels. And, take gout pain relief until most of your old uric acid crystals have dissolved.
But, gout can be extremely complicated because every person is different. So, each gout sufferer needs their own personal treatment plan. Because your plan must recognize your unique personal symptoms and causes.
Gout Treatment Progression
I first published this index of gout treatments on June 22nd, 2008 (archive). So, as an index, the content has evolved to match my coverage of gout treatment topics. Significantly, in my early years, I organized diet topics separately from treatment. Whereas, I now see that gout sufferers must make diet choices that support whatever treatment they need during their phase of gout progression.
So, I'm reorganizing all aspects of gout treatment into the gout progression phase that is most relevant. Being:
- Gout Pain Relief Phase. For all medicines, remedies, and associated therapies that deal with the avoidance, relief, or tolerance of gout pain and inflammation.
- Start Uric Acid Cure Phase. For all medications, herbs, and foods that inhibit uric acid production or promote uric acid clearance.
- Adjust Uric Acid Cure Phase. For comparisons between uric acid treatments and managing side effects.
You can browse those gout progression phases after you've checked out the gout treatment articles listed below.
Gout Treatment Questions
- Do you lower uric acid with pharmaceuticals? Or, herbal gout medication?
- What is your safe level for uric acid?
- How does your safe uric acid level change as time passes?
- Which is the best uric acid lowering treatment to suit your medical history and personal preferences?
- How do you know when uric acid crystals have dissolved
- Which is the most effective gout pain treatment combination?
- Do you take gout pain treatment as required? Or, as a preventative?
- Which gout treatments are compatible with treatments for other illnesses?
- How much does your doctor/herbalist/other health adviser know about the latest gout treatment recommendations?
- And many more!
And, those personal choices must be guided by gout treatment principles:
Gout Treatment Principles
- You must refine treatments as you start to control gout.
- You must make similar choices whether you are being treated with gout medications. Or, if you are seeking natural gout remedies.
- You must set targets for pain control. And, for uric acid control.
- As the uric acid control begins to work, you can reduce gout pain relief. Until, eventually, you become free from pain.
Gout Attack Treatment
Treatment of a gout attack is rarely simple. Why? Because there are three points to consider. And, one of these can be very confusing.
We all want to put an end to gout pain. To control gout attacks, you will need:
- Remedies to relieve immediate gout attack pain
- Therapy to avoid gout attacks in the future
- A plan to adjust gout treatments as you gradually fix your gout
The third point is often ignored. But it is most important. Stopping a gout attack is one thing. But, treatment to prevent more attacks is vital. Because, when you start reducing uric acid, you might get more gout attacks. These are easy to deal with if you are prepared. So, be sure to understand that your gout attack treatment plan must cover five stages:
- Uric acid level monitoring with dose adjustment.
- Uric acid deposit removal.
- Early pain relief.
- Long-term maintenance.
The length of time it takes to fix your gout will depend on how long you have had it. And, how effectively you manage the treatment. So, all gout sufferers should be completely free of gout symptoms in six to twelve months. Unless there are other health complications,
Do not simply rely on your doctor’s advice. Or, the instructions for a natural gout remedy. Because you have to take control by learning how to assess your current situation. And, how to set targets for managing your plan towards becoming gout free. I cover details of how to do this in the Understanding Gout Section. This Gout Treatment Section is to describe all the different gout medications and other remedies for gout so that you can choose a package of treatments that suits you.
Types Of Gout Treatment
Your gout management plan can include selected drug therapies, natural gout cures, lifestyle changes, or a combination. I deal with lifestyle changes in the Gout Diet section. When considering nonmedical remedies, there is some overlap between diet and certain foods that have been attributed with healing properties. In these cases, I will cover nutritional properties in the Gout Diet section and healing properties here.
In most cases, gout medications have a specific role. And, I have classified them accordingly. So, you can select a treatment to lower uric acid. Then, perhaps, add pain relief treatment. Because you still have gout flare risks during the early stages of urate-lowering therapy.
Natural and other alternative treatments are less specific. So, this makes them more difficult to manage. Because results are less predictable. Also, results vary widely among people. Nevertheless, you must still manage uric acid first. However, many natural treatments have not been assessed for their uric acid lowering properties. Despite strong anecdotal evidence that they help gout sufferers. In this regard, you must look at your own test results.
I explain gout medications and natural products or techniques that can be used to treat gout. I have divided them according to how they affect the Gout Pain Pathway.
Medical Gout Treatments
|Uric Acid Lowering
|Gout Medications To Avoid Gout
|Drugs that inhibit uric acid production or encourage its excretion.
|Urate Deposit Removal
|Treatment For Gout
|Lowering uric acid will cause most urate deposits to dissolve. Beyond that, tophi can be removed by surgery or draining. Kidney stones can be surgically removed and have also been treated by sonic vibration.
|Immune Response Treatment
|Anti-Inflammatory Gout Cure
|In addition to colchicine and a wide range of COX inhibitors, some treatments previously aimed at rheumatoid arthritis are effective at blocking different aspects of the immune response.
|Gout Pain Blocking
|Gout Pain Relief
|Various analgesics block pain signals reaching the brain.
Treatment Failure Gout
Related to medical gout treatments is a phenomenon called treatment failure gout. Which we sometimes refer to as intransigent or refractory gout. It applies to gout patients who do not respond to uric acid lowering treatments. Or, who cannot tolerate them because of allergies or other health problems.
Treatment failure gout has spurred the pharmaceutical industry into developing alternatives to allopurinol. So, Uloric (febuxostat) is now widely available. Also, Rasburicase has some limited applications. Furthermore, Krystexxa (pegloticase) is gaining ground in severe treatment failure gout.
In the future, I will continue to report on new gout treatments as they develop. And, I’ll add them to your list of gout treatment choices. In the meantime, I have some background and figures about treatment failure gout.
Alternative Gout Treatments
|Uric Acid Lowering
|Natural uricosurics and xanthine oxidase inhibitors. This includes treatments that have been shown to lower uric acid, but the mechanism is uncertain.
|Natural Gout Remedy
|Foods and beverages that relieve gout pain.
|Gout Home Remedies
|Dietary supplements, additives, and other preparations that relieve gout pain.
|Other Non-Drug Treatments
|Physical, electronic, and other medication-free pain relievers.
Next Gout Treatment Steps
Now that you see that there is a wide range of gout treatments available, you need to plan what to do next.
If you are new to gout, you and your doctor will focus mainly on pain relief. Make sure you are aware of your options. Then, work with your doctor to see which is best for you. Sometimes combination therapies are most effective.
If you have had more than one gout attack, you must arrange with your doctor to start uric acid lowering treatment.
Leave Gout Treatment to browse Gout Progression Phases.