Allopurinol questions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Nick
      Participant

Hi guys,

I’ve recently had my dosage reduced from 300mg to 200mg which of course needs to be taken by 2 x 100mg. When I had the 300mg tablets it was one tablet a day, nice and easy, but the box label for the new tablets just say ‘Two to be taken daily’. Has anybody received professional advice as to whether taking them both at the same time is ok rather than spreading them out ?

I’m also interested to hear of people’s experiences of taking allopurinol at different times of the day – any benefit in taking in the morning rather than the evening, for example ?

Thanks !

nobody
      Participant

Hi,
      I don’t take allopurinol but, in theory, there’s not much benefit to spreading the dose over the day since the drug is metabolized over more than a day anyway. There might be a tiny increase in effectiveness when taking half the dose in the morning and the other half in the evening but I guess it’s mostly a matter of convenience and perhaps of managing certain side effects (which probably aren’t affecting you).
      I suggest you ask whoever reduced your dosage when you get an opportunity.
      And whatever you do in the meantime, make sure the amount of uric acid in your blood is checked after you reduce your dose (ideally a month or two afterwards).

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.