Low Dose Allopurinol side effects

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Low Dose Allopurinol side effects

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author

Irma Reitz
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 3.94
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I started taking 75 mg Allopurinol daily 7 days ago. Doc prescribed 100 mg but pharmacist gave me 300 mg tablets which I have then quartered…. hence 75 mg. I am getting stomach aches and diarrhea and also achy feet and hips (is it a gout flare). Using colchicine 1 mg and Coxflam 7.5 twice daily as well as paracetamol 500 with codeine. My question is: – Should I reduce the Allopurinol or just keep going? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1012.34
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Irma,

Personally, I would keep going, as long as symptoms are bearable.

It’s almost certainly colchicine causing gastric problems. But Coxflam (AKA Mobic) can also cause issues for some people. It’s an anti-inflammatory, meloxicam. In the UK, anti-inflammatories are often prescribed with other drugs that help reduce gastric problems. There are lots of options, but no alternatives to colchicine. If you really can’t tolerate the colchicine, many gout patients manage without it. That’s especially true when anti-inflammatory is supported with a pain-blocker such as paracetamol.

Finally, some people are affected by when they take medicines in relation to meals. Medication before, during, or after meals can make a difference. Your doctor or pharmacist should have advice on which might produce best results for different drugs.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.