Vital Uric Acid Levels Conversion Chart

Help with unit measurements of Uric Acid

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Help with unit measurements of Uric Acid

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Can someone help me with unit measurements of gout?

Hey

It’s been a while since I checked in here and just wanted to say that I’m fairly happy with my recent uric acid results. They come out as 0.30 mmol/L

However, when I have posted similar results on here before people seem very confused by this reading. These are the only units that I have ever seen on my blood test results for gout, and I am based in the UK
      I know that my target range is to be less than 0.36 mmol/L. That is what it says on the literature for allopurinol basically that is the goal amount for treatment, and I am happy with my results. It has been over 2 years since my last attack. I just wondered what unit people on here go by and if my results can be converted into a more understandable amount?

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Hi Rebecca,
      0.30 is a great target level for uric acid. So congratulations!
      I hope you can give me some feedback on my explanation of your current issue – Uric Acid Level Charts . Especially, the feature image for that page which shows my interpretation of the 3 common scales at 4 different ranges.

I see your issue as being similar to currency conversion. As most GoutPal readers are American, I mainly use the uric acid equivalent of the $ – mg/dL. Where I always keep in mind that 5 is safest, 6 is usually acceptable, and anything higher is increasingly dangerous. As a fellow Brit, I switch my thinking to the uric acid equivalent of the ยฃ – mmol/L. Where the similar values are 0.30 and 0.36. Though I have an old habit of rounding that maximum level to 0.35.

I expect you have experience of currency confusion when you first arrive in a foreign country. Then you adapt as you use different numbers each day. So it’s similar with uric acid measurement scales. The more you use them, the easier it gets.

It would be good for you to practice by reviewing the page I mentioned above. Then look at other uric acid pages each week and tell me what you think about them. ๐Ÿ™‚

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Thanks Keith very well explained as usual and you are right I am happy with my result and looking at the charts it looks like I am bang on target. I only take 100 mg a day as well. Merry Christmas!

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.