How Gout Medications Work media

Diclofenac, allopurinol and colchicine safe to take together?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Diclofenac, allopurinol and colchicine safe to take together?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Please accept my apologies for having a terrible memory as I know I have asked my doctor this before and I can’t remember the response. I seem to think that I was given the all-clear to take all of these together if necessary.

I’m currently on holiday in America and have somehow managed to hurt my ankle. Had a burning pain all of last night. I’m on Allopurinol 100 mg and I am also taking Colchicine just while I am on holiday as agreed by my doctor, because I worry about getting a flare up in extreme heat and the temperature here is very hot indeed. So it was agreed I could take 500 microgram tablets twice a day as a preventative -as a sort of just in case measure.

I am wanting to take the diclofenac to help with the ankle pain. I normally use Voltaren cream when I have any kind of joint aches but you can only buy it here with a prescription. The diclofenac tablets would be a last resort. I just wondered if people knew the answer to this or has it been discussed before?

I imagine if somebody who is taking allopurinol and colchicine and had a flare-up of gout (which could still theoretically happened in the early days) would be advised to take some kind of anti-inflammatory it’s hard to know where the Colchicine is classed as an anti-inflammatory -Google is giving me very mixed opinions! If nobody here knows it’s not a problem I will visit the pharmacy on Monday and speak to a pharmacist but I don’t hold out hope they will know.

Thank you

nobody
      Participant

Nobody doesn’t know but agrees it’s not a problem.
      Kidding aside, like many others I’ve taken similar drugs together so I wouldn’t worry and take the diclo tablet on top of everything else. I can’t vouch for this exact combination of drugs and I’m sure you’re aware of the disclaimers aboiut mixing drugs but really, you should be OK.
      Ask a pharmacist anyway so you’ll be able to tell your insurance you didn’t take anonymous advice from the web. Just in case.

About colchicine being anti-inflammatory, I bet you’d get different opinions from different pharmacists. Let’s just say it works very differently than dicolfenac and most anti-inflammatories.

High temperatures have a way of triggering attacks when you’re curing gout. In my opinion, it’s mostly because you’re losing water. Make sure to drink lots and lots!

Keith Taylor
        Participant

Nobody doesnโ€™t know but agrees itโ€™s not a problem.

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve been waiting for that! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Thank you for your answer. I suppose I have never thought it would be necessary to take diclofenac once taking Colchicine because it is always being great as a preventative for gout. I didn’t Bank on having the ankle pain but luckily it has subsided now anyway.

It’s a shame I couldn’t buy voltarel cream in the pharmacy here they have some funny rules and yet you can buy melatonin tablets on the Shelf.

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Good to hear the pain has subsided Rebecca ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree it is confusing to know how to class colchicine. Because it isn’t an anti-inflammatory in the way we normally think. That is, it blocks (or slows) inflammation spreading. But it doesn’t do anything to reduce existing inflammation.

So, we can wait for pain to subside naturally. Or, take something like diclofenac which reduces inflammation.

I’ve only been to the States once. But one of the joys for me was how the small differences make such an impact in everyday life. My favorite examples were from my traveling companion who refused to accept that he should adapt his ways. So he couldn’t understand the blank looks when asking for the restroom by asking “where is the toilet?” But the best bit was in a store when he couldn’t work out the ground floor!

I guess things like that are less funny when you are limping around with gout pain. So gouty travelers should always be prepared with sufficient meds of the right kinds. That is:
      1) Enough allopurinol, Uloric, or other uric acid treatment to last for the planned duration plus contingency for delays and losses.
      2) The right combination (as advised by doctor/pharmacist) of inflammation blocking (colchicine), inflammation reducing (ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen or other NSAIDs), and residual pain blocking (paracetamol/acetaminophen).

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

I was glad that my doctor agreed it was okay for me to take Colchicine as a preventative When I visit hot countries. I was on it for 3 months when I first started taking Allopurinol and luckily I have never experienced any bad side effects from it. I feel like a saint because I am pretty much sticking to my Slimming World plan out here as we are self-catering. I have only found a couple of vegan friendly restaurants in the local vicinity but the majority of them in Orlando have the emphasis on fatty burgers covered in melting cheese and fries that seems to be the order of the day here! I have resisted visiting Whole Foods which is a supermarket chain Across America and England which makes waitrose look like a corner shop. I have never been anywhere quite so beautiful the displayed food is so picturesque. You can buy vegan celebration cakes and hot pizza so I’m not going there this year as it’s too much temptation!

I have to say we are very lucky in England because fruits and vegetables are very cheap you can buy a punnet of cherry tomatoes for 50p and a cucumber for the same price. Over here you are looking at 6 dollars. You have to pay a lot more to buy food which is non-GMO as well as the majority of cheap food is genetically modified here.

nobody
      Participant

While the nasty burgers probably contain GM corn or something, most non-processed food is likely non-GMO even though it’s not advertised as such. No doubt scammers will try to make people pay through the nose for stuff with a silly label on it but so far as I know only a handful of GM species are routinely grown.

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Actually no I spent a long time in the supermarket looking at the backs of products. A lot of stuff from bacon bits to breakfast cereals to maple syrup was labeled as containing GM ingredients.

This article will give you more information

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_2039455

Canola oil and cotton seed oil and high processed corn syrup is in so much food here you just have to be careful shopping.

nobody
      Participant

You’re talking about junk food. I said “non-processed”.
      I wouldn’t buy these so-called “bacon bits”, “maple syrup” or “breakfast cereals”. Neither of us eats bacon, actual maple syrup wouldn’t be GM and so far as I know the only actual breakfast cereal that’s likely to be GM regardless of price is corn flakes (which I happen to loathe).

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

I eat a highly-processed diet in England if that’s what you want to call breakfast cereal like we Weetabix and Linda McCartney sausages but I still eat an overall healthy diet and thankfully none of these things have genetically modified ingredients in.

Lots of so-called natural cereals still contain genetically modified ingredients from beets corn canola oil etc… and lots of big companies like Quakers have been called out in the past for trying to hide GM. and bear in mind companies don’t have to say whether something has GM or not.

Thankfully the law is changing soon and companies will have to label GM ingredients over here.

nobody
      Participant

I have no idea what “natural” is supposed to mean in this context. Do they guarantee the Holy Ghost wasn’t involved in the processing? Regardless, surely beets and canola are not cereals and have therefore no part in anything deserving the name of breakfast cereals.
      I normally wouldn’t even consider looking at stuff made by companies such as Quakers simply because their stuff is too expensive. So I find the notion that fresh produce, non-GMO foods and suchlike should be some kind of luxury item rather amusing.
      Like, 6-dollar cucumbers in a country where workers are paid so little as the USA? That would be amusing if it wasn’t sad…

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Apparently the excuse is that vegetables have got more expensive but I still find it ridiculous that is so pricey! A pack of four healthy kale Burgers cost me over $6!

With regards to Canola I am talking about canola oil and that will be used in plenty of cereals particularly in Granola type. And as for beets I am talking about sugar! So not only is some of the sugar GMO it also uses bone char in the filtering process so it’s not even vegan.

nobody
      Participant

How could the costs of vegetables (WTF?) possibly explain their ridiculous prices? Encountering scammers in the land of the scam? What a surprise! Just the name “Whole Foods” ought to be a warning.
      I’ve had a couple of weird chats with people living in the US about food prices. Evidently they often have no idea what wholesale prices are and what their money pays for.

I understood you were talking about oil and sugar… which again have no place in something deserving of the name of breakfast cereals.
      Like, if you’re calling something dried apples it should be made of apples without the addition of oil, sugar and so forth. Else you’re selling apple-flavored junk food.

Rebecca Nahid
      Participant

Well I just know that I cannot wait to come back to Tesco and buy cucumbers for 45p!!

Actually Whole Foods is a nice supermarket chain they have some in London as well. It is a little bit pricier in the same way that way waitrose and food is more expensive but for me it’s ideal because they do lots of vegan stuff and the entire store is non-GMO.

I still love America but it’s a funny country. I watched a horror film on TV last night at 7 in the evening the same time that kids could be watching it they don’t have a watershed. They bleeped out the bad language but not the violence!!

Viewing 12 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.