Adenuric 40mg (febuxostat)

What is the best febuxostat dose for gout?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum What is the best febuxostat dose for gout?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Phillip Ooi
      Participant

How often does one need to take febuxostat if on a 40mg?

I have had gout attacks for a few times and taking allopurinol did not work for years on a 300mg.

I took the 40mg febuxostat just in 3 days the pain in my foot has greatly subsided. My UA is about 7+-8+. How many do I need to take? One in the morning and one in the night?

nobody
      Participant

Usually, febuxostat is taken once per day.
      Sometimes people need to take more than 40mg per day. If your UA tested around 8mg/dl while taking 300mg allopurinol, you probably need more than 40mg per day. You could however start by taking 40 mg per day for a few weeks before getting a blood test and adjusting the dose based on the result.

Febuxostat has an effect very similar to allopurinol. But the amount you need to take is different.
      With both drugs, you need to reduce UA to less than 6 mg/dl, ideally to 5 mg/dl or even less. And you need to keep UA there for many months (sometimes more than a year) in order to be cured. Attacks are unlikely to ever stop if UA remains around 8 mg/dl.
      You can sometimes experience relief from your symptoms after taking febuxostat or allpurinol for a few days but that’s not the point. Even if the drug did stop an attack, it may cause more frequent attacks for a few months.
      People typically take anti-inflammatories to get relief form attacks. Colchicine is often used in order to prevent attacks immediately after UA reductions.

Like allopurinol, febuxostat is known to have serious side effects. In particular, it often affects the liver. Most people can take it without issues but you need medical supervision when starting febuxostat. In particular, since liver problems are often initially painless, you’ll need a blood test for liver function after about 2-4 weeks on the drug.
      If it turns out your body doesn’t like febuxostat, you could perhaps take a larger dose of allopurinol instead.

Sameerjillani

Friends can anybody tell me any thing about febuxostat it’s some thing as an alternative to allopurinol

Don

Allopurinol vs Uloric
      Years ago I took Allopurinol. I cannot remember why my Dr. switched me to Uloric. (something he saw in my blood work?) I have taken Uloric for about five years. The price has gone way up.

If I switch back to Allopurinol (which is very affordable), is there something we need to look for in my bloodwork that might take me off of it ?

Thanks

nobody
      Participant

Hi Don!
      The typical things people look for in bloodwork is uric acid as well as kidney function and liver function tests.
      If your uric acid was too high on allopurinol, the dosage may simply have been too low. If it was a problem with organ function however, switching you to Uloric might have been the right choice.
      Do talk about this with your doctor! They may have had a somewhat unusual but very good reason to have taken you off allo.

Viewing 4 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.