Asparagus and Spinach for Gout photo

Gout & Purines: Asparagus and Spinach

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout & Purines: Asparagus and Spinach

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Ucatsexas .
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 15.65

I’m very curious and NEED to know what is it about asparagus and spinach that makes them high in purines? I’ve also read, somewhere, that even though they are high in purines, it’s ok to eat them. Hope so, cause I love those veggies

Asparagus and Spinach for Gout photo

What’s your favorite asparagus and spinach recipe for gout?

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 502.51

Aspargus and spinach are not very high in purines so I don’t know that a special explanation is called for. They contain more purines than most veggies but broccoli has more than aspargus for instance. Spinach has a fair bit of one type of purine but none of the most troublesome purine which you do find in a few other veggies like eggplant.
    Whatever. No vegetable contains as much purine as animal flesh. The way most people eat veggies, the purines they contain isn’t going to amount to much. It’s only if you eat unusually large amounts of such vegetables (for instance because you’re vegan) that an issue might arise.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.