Asparagus and Spinach for Gout photo

Gout & Purines: Asparagus and Spinach

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout & Purines: Asparagus and Spinach

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ucatsexas .
      Participant

I’m very curious and NEED to know what is it about asparagus and spinach that makes them high in purines? I’ve also read, somewhere, that even though they are high in purines, it’s ok to eat them. Hope so, cause I love those veggies

Asparagus and Spinach for Gout photo

What’s your favorite asparagus and spinach recipe for gout?

nobody
      Participant

Aspargus and spinach are not very high in purines so I don’t know that a special explanation is called for. They contain more purines than most veggies but broccoli has more than aspargus for instance. Spinach has a fair bit of one type of purine but none of the most troublesome purine which you do find in a few other veggies like eggplant.
      Whatever. No vegetable contains as much purine as animal flesh. The way most people eat veggies, the purines they contain isn’t going to amount to much. It’s only if you eat unusually large amounts of such vegetables (for instance because you’re vegan) that an issue might arise.

redterror

funny after reading so many food lists (just about everything is listed to avoid)… becoming veggie seems to be solution. will try the black cherry juice soon though.

nobody
      Participant

Most lists are terrible. One problem with lists (even with good ones) is that quantity matters as concentration.
      If you eat a lot of anything, even small amounts of purines per cup could become a problem. And becoming a veggie involves eating more (unless you were seriously overeating beforehand). Some plant foods are fine to eat in large amounts thankfully.
      Replacing meat with dairy and eggs is much easier to get right than quitting all animal products.

Viewing 3 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.