Gout flares at a low urate level – How long?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout flares at a low urate level – How long?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Yafeng Xu 7 months ago.

• Author

Simon Duvivier
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1.25
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Much of what I have read here reinforces my own experiences.

I have my own blood urate level tester which seems to be reasonably accurate (+/- 20%) when compared with hospital analyses.

I had suffered little gout over a year and was careless about regularly taking allopurinol.

After a nasty flare-up, I found my urate level was around 7.5 mg/dl. My allopurinol dose was increased from 200 mg to 400 mg/day. In 3 months the urate level was down to 5 mg/dl and has fallen a little further since. However, I have recently had some severe and painful flare-ups.

My doctor was surprised but I have read on this site that attacks can continue for up to two years even with low/safe urate levels. Is that other people’s experience?

Bob Bertles
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.23
    GoutPal Detective Badge Rank: Detective

I too had serious attacks being on 400 mg of Allopurinol for almost 2 years. I had large tophi deposits surgically remove from my big toe joints during that time. My uric acid level was down to 4.5..the lowest it would go with 400mg of Alloputinol…with red meat, high fructose corn syrup, shell fish and alcohol removed from my diet. While we were in transition to Uloric waiting for a flare up to subside I read a couple stories of a couple people having to stop all fructose being sugar and fruit from their diet and their attacks stopped. When I did that my attacks stopped. Now I don’t know if it was a coincidence or what but when my flare ups stopped I switched to Uloric and since I have not had a flare up. It has been about 90 days. I recently ate an apple between a meal and the next day my foot swelled alittle and had very mild pain. So I’m not sure what that was. I had a couple bites of apple pie and no problem..so I’m testing the waters so to speak. All I know is that with that being said I see some light at the end of the tunnel. My Uric adic check two weeks ago was 3.7. My Rhum told me before I would have to learn what my triggers are and I think now I can learn from here. Hope you can figure it out. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody..its the worst pain I ever experienced!!

Yafeng Xu
      Participant
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 10.53
      GoutPal Historian Badge Rank: Historian

hi Bob, if I understand you correctly, you meant that you have little flare up after stopping taking fruit or any foods rich in fructose? I like kiwi fruits and eat two every morning before breakfast. My uric acid level is low (within the range) but I still have pain on my foot. Is the kiwi the culprit? thanks.

Jean Clyne
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 42.06
    GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

Fructose is definitely a trigger for me, within a matter of minutes could feel pain in toe and usually several finger joints as well a very small amount seems ok but any more , nope. The most frustrating thing is a mild reaction to dishes with a lot of beans, chickpeas, lentils and peas, the vegetable purine high foods that I try and eat as being a vegetarian. If I drink enough black cherry juice, ie. 300 mls. plus in a day, that seems to be really working. I have normal uric acid levels but very poor circulation in hands and feet, would always freeze in our cold winters. If I walk enough and am active, ie. 15,000 steps plus daily then it is also better. Allopurinol removed the pain and swelling in big toe, joints felt better but after taking it for 6 mos. the side effects for me were worse than the gout, headaches, migraines and awful acid reflux. Doc will prescribed uloric for me if it is needed so probably will have to go there in the future. Keeping a food diary and tracking symptoms also worked best for me.

Yafeng Xu
      Participant

hi Jean, you mentioned about the bean. I often cook porridge with many kinds of dry beans (green, red, black, etc.) and eat it once in two days (or once a day). My uric acid level is low (within the range) but I still have pain on my foot(already lasting for 20 days, not very sharp though). Is the ben the cause? thanks.

Jean Clyne
      Participant
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 42.06
      GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

Beans, peas, lentils are high in vegetable purines which aren’t supposed to be problematic but maybe in some cases they are with some people? I really wonder about that because when I first went vegetarian, I would get some mild symptoms when eating them, that largely seems to have disappeared, as long as I keep sugar intake minimal, that is the hard one for me.All you can do is track what you eat and any symptoms to see if there is any correlation between the 2.

Yafeng Xu
      Participant

Thank you, Jean. I will keep watching the symptoms and see if eating beans could be anything related to the ua level.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Simon,

I’m sad your doctor hasn’t prepared you for gout flares during the first few months of uric acid control. Because it is a common occurrence that most doctors provide help for. In the form of preventative or as required pain relief.

There are no fixed rules for how long this will take. The only relevant fact is that gout recovery takes less time if you get uric acid lower. But other members have said that a cautious approach suits them better.

I know you didn’t mention diet, Simon. So I won’t respond to the comments about food in this topic. Unless you ask me to.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.