Aspirin for the Heart but what about Gout?

Gout, Heart, and Aspirin

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout, Heart, and Aspirin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mauri
      Participant

I continue to do fine on my 600 allopurinol dose but have encountered a new issue/question: my doctor has prescribed that I take cardiac aspirin (a 100 mg dose pill) which I am taking now to avoid possible heart/brain clots and etc. He says it should not interfere with my gout treatment since a low aspirin dose will not affect me due to the allopurinol. He is aware aspirin and gout do not combine well but insists I should not worry since this is such a low dose. Any ideas for/against this strategy ???
      Best regards.

Aspirin for the Heart but what about Gout?

Keith Taylor
      Participant

I would say, aspirin shouldn’t have any significant effect because of your allopurinol. Ie, I agree with your doctor. My logic is: where aspirin is causing excess uric acid, it make sense to avoid it if there is an alternative. But, where you are already controlling uric acid, then using aspirin has little or no relevance to gout. Please note that I’m saying this from my understanding of gout and uric acid. I have very little cardiac knowledge. So, I can’t say if there is a better alternative to aspirin.

[I hope you don’t mind, Mauri, but I’ve split this, as I think it deserves a new topic.]

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.