Gout or doubt

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Mohammad Motala
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 4.14

Hi,I was diagnosed with gout in 2010. Hjgh uric acid level was cause. I’m currently on a diet for 6 months and I reduced weight as well. I did a blood test for uric acid and from 0.60mmol I’m currently at 0.48mmol
    I now have severe pains again on the side of my foot. My orthopedic surgeon says its gout attack again. So I started puricos 100mg.I cant understand how could it be when my uric acid levels dropped significantly and I was experiencing any foot pain for like a few years now. Could somebody please explain

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 569.05

Hi!

Gout is a slow disease. You don’t feel it progressing until something triggers it. Experiencing pain after lowering one’s uric acid to 0.48 is not an unexpected development.
    If you’ve had gout for 10 years (simply having had 0.6 is not sufficient for a diagnosis), you’ll probably need several years on puricos or similar before the symptoms go away completely. You’ll need to check your dose is right my measuring your uric acid a few more times (and while you’re at it, make sure your liver and kidney function are evaluated when your blood is tested just in case the drug was affecting that). Most likely, you’ll need to take more than 100mg per day.
    I must stress that I can’t possibly tell if you have gout or not. But if you do, puricos is the right thing to do. Just be aware that it’s a slow drug addressing the cause of the disease and that a much faster drug is also needed for the symptoms.

Mohammad Motala
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 4.14

I’m currently on puricos 100mg. Gp says i should use 100mg dosage. However I see my orthopedic surgeon has prescribed puricos 300mg (which he says it’s fine to take lifelong) with Arcoxia 120mg (only at time of gout attack).
    So I decided to to have puricos 200mg daily considering a moderate dosage between the 2 views. Haha I know its sounds funny, but I would honestly like to know if I’m on the right track currently. Also my bloods for kidney etc are all fine.

Would puricos 200mg help me bring down uric acid faster?
    Do I need to consume probiotic after puricos?
    Does it also mean for life I have to have puricos?
    Any natural things to consume that really brings down uric acid?

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 569.05

The most practical way to know if your dose is right is to get your uric acid tested after a few weeks on that dose.
    Also, you won’t know if your liver and so forth are fine until you get bloodwork for them AFTER you’ve been a while on puricos.

Whether you will need to be on puricos for life also depends on your uric acid test results. If obesity was the reason you had so much uric acid for instance, you might be able to lose the puricos once you lose enough weight. But that’s certainly not a given. Time will tell.

I doubt probiotic has anything to do with puricos. But if you heard differently, I’d be interested to know what you were told.

Lots of “natural” things bring down uric acid. But unless you get side effect from puricos, I would recommend sticking to it because it’s cheap, works better and you can also get side effects from the “natural” things.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from GoutPal’s Log-in Help.