I have Gout . Can I take an aspirin and Allopurinol?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum I have Gout . Can I take an aspirin and Allopurinol?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Bennett Richards
      Participant

I have Gout and I am a heart Patient. Can I take an aspirin every 2 days…to thin my blood and also take my 300mg per day dose of allopurinol?

Thanks….

Keith Taylor
      Participant

How is the 300 mg dose of allopurinol working for your uric acid? I hope you can post your last test result details. Then we can discuss if your dose is correct. Because this forum is here to support gout sufferers and help them ask the right questions when they consult health professionals.

To clarify, no forum can ever advise you about specific medications. Because it’s immoral to give treatment advice without access to test results and medical history. Only qualified medical professionals can do that.

For the moment, I’m going to assume that your dose is wrong. Simply because it is wrong for most gout patients. So book an immediate appointment to get your blood tested for uric acid. As usual, you should insist on liver function and kidney function tests along with the uric acid test. Though any competent doctor would order those tests anyway.

When booking that blood test, you should mention that you want to consult about aspirin. I’ve no idea if that is important for testing purposes. But best to plan ahead. Then once your doctor has all the relevant test results, you can continue with step 6 of your Gout Patient Plan.

Please note that aspirin for heart disease is outside the scope of GoutPal Plans. As are all gout comorbidities. So that is another reason for raising it with your doctor at the first opportunity. Because it seems logical to me that you discuss aspirin treatment in the same consultation as uric acid treatment. But you must confirm that with your doctor immediately.

Bennett Richards
        Participant

Thanks for the reply….. My Last Uric acid level was 9.1 but I have not gotten any blood work done since I reached the 300mg pd level. This is because the COVID-19 situation here in Southern CA is horrendous. I simply can not risk going into a lab or medical complex given how contagious this virus is.
        This was a dosage given to me by my Dr.. I hope it’s not killing my kidneys.
        Our hospitals and medical facilities are simply overrun right now.

Bennett Richards
        Participant

Thanks for the reply….. My Last Uric acid level was 9.1 but I have not gotten any blood work done since I reached the 300mg pd level. This is because the COVID-19 situation here in Southern CA is horrendous. I simply can not risk going into a lab or medical complex given how contagious this virus is.
        This was a dosage given to me by my Dr.. I hope it’s not killing my kidneys.
        Our hospitals and medical facilities are simply overrun right now.

nobody
        Participant

I recommend you consider the balance of risks and avoid generalizations.
        If you ended up in the ER because of a dose that’s too low or because of the side effects, you would be a lot more likely to catch a virus than if you got your blood drawn.
        Obviously you don’t want to sit for half an hour in a poorly-ventilated waiting room or something but a lab might have set up a process that involves patients spending minimal time indoors for instance. So do consider the measures which have been deployed before ruling out a blood test.
        The virus isn’t that contagious. Most people are being irresponsible, is all.

Steve Bateson
        Participant

Totally endorse all that has been said about getting your own tests and recommendations from your own doctor, but just for your reference I have been taking Allopurinol together with a ‘sporting’ dose of Aspirin for a few years now. My rheumatologist, general practitioner and trial pharmacist were not concerned about mixing the two and my latest round of blood tests have been ok.

October 2015 started 600mg aspirin daily as part of CaPP3 trial
        October 2017 started 100mg Allopurinol urate 470 umol/l
        Jan 2018 increased to 200mg Allopurinol at 397 umol/l
        July 2019 increased to 300mg Allopurinol at 370 umol/l

Tested twice since then and recorded 299/298 umol/l with no issues on liver/kidney function. Next test due next month, Covid permitting.

To reiterate, your situation/medical history may indicate otherwise.

On a slightly different note, I’m sure I’ve seen reference to the possibility that low dose Aspirin can increase Uric acid. There’s another conundrum for you.

Steve

nobody
        Participant

People who tolerate allopurinol well could simply take a bit more to counteract the effect of a drug which increases uric acid… assuming of course the drug combination has been validated by the doctor(s) in charge, that its effects are monitored and so forth.

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.