Just Diagnosed with Gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Just Diagnosed with Gout

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Tony Schmidt
      Participant

I’m a long range distance walker who felt invulnerable to anything like gout. Had my 1st attack last week thinking it was a sprain. As of yesterday finally got on Allopurinol from my doctor. My question is does switching to a more plant based diet and increasing my starchy carbs really help? It’s close to a 180 change from my current diet. Also, I enjoy a drink and can I assume red wine is the best choice if I have something?

nobody
      Participant

Hi!
      Switching to starches and/or to a more plant-based diet doesn’t help as such. The effect would depend on what you’re switching from (among other things). What does help is consuming dairy and reducing the amount of animal flesh you’re eating but this won’t matter much if you’re on an adequate amount of allopurinol anyway. If you don’t tolerate the drug well or it doesn’t work very well on you, it might be worth focusing on your diet but even then, you might want to look at things like the amount of proteins and minerals you consume rather than eating loads of corn or following some other hairbrained scheme.
      Alcohol is alcohol. Considering you seem to have just started a daily pill which is know to stress some people’s livers, maybe wait until you get results from your next bloodwork before putting additional stress on your liver for recreational purposes?
      Frankly, occasional drinks and diet are no big deal compared to a serious drug. Better make sure you really need to be on that drug and if so, that you end up taking the right dose for you!

Tony Schmidt
        Participant

That was helpful and I appreciate your comments. Yes, per my bloodwork the last few years, I’m considered very health so my goal would be to control it without meds which will lead to a better diet compatible with Gout.

nobody
        Participant

How much uric acid was there in your blood according to these blood tests?

Tony Schmidt
      Participant

My blood is being tested next week. The doctor saw my foot and diagnosed it as Gout and began treating it that way(as of yesterday). I’m getting labs done in a few days

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.