Remedies for gout pain

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Sharron Turner
      Participant

I am interested to clarify the use of the black bean broth for gout pain. Also does red onion or any other foods help reduce pain? How much of each of these does one usually start with? Since my husband is not a candidate for nsaids, I would like to try some natural options. Any direction is appreciated.

Leon Forte
      Participant

I have just started herbs as a relief of gout pain. I just started and it actually seems to help. I will put the herbs on this forum when i am completely convinced. In the meantime I understand that fresh lemon juice (*half a lemon) and citrus in general every morning on an empty stomach helps. Also, fat free or low fat dairy products help. I can only say that if they do help it takes long period of time for it to do any good. Alopurinol is a prescription medication that helps. Diet, a very strict one, is key no matter what is used.

Leon Forte
      Participant

Please take note that many publications state that cherries and cherry juice (pure) are very good for gout. Celery has also been stated as being good for gout. I can only say that they have not worked for me. If you do use these types of foods, if they work at all it will take some time of religiously consuming them, in my opinion.

Roger R

the ‘Tart Cherry Capsules’ seem to work for me, Help anyway, also taken with Tumeric capsules seem to be able to replace my prescription capsules, time will tell.

Leon Forte
      Participant

I have been taking cherry capsules and several herbs that I make tea from (given to me by a licensed European herbalist). I have been drinking fresh squeezed lemon juice every morning. I have not been eating any meats whatsoever. The jury is still out and in fact I am making an appointment with my doctor to get colchezine as I am still suffering. These things may help but it must take months of regular use as I have been now taking them for about three weeks to no or very little avail. I have been meatless for months with the exception of about two ounces of chicken on Thanksgiving (no turkey). When I was in Italy an herbalist gave me a mixture to brew tea that knocked out an attack very quickly, but I am told that one of the ingredients was mistletoe and that can not be purchased in the US as it is a lethal poison and can only be used by a licensed herbalist in Italy. I have derided that once I get rid of this attack I am going vegetarian and I hope that works. I have now been told that even salt and sugar are not good as they make it harder fro the body to rid itself of the uric acid. High fructose corn syrup is a disaster which is everything. Even breads contain yeast which is not good. Only fruits in moderation and most veggys. No spinach, no asparagus, no cauliflower, and no mushrooms. So the answer may be starve to death or take drugs. I have both liver and kidney problems so Aloprurinol may be out as a doctor did not want to give it to me a while ago. Uloric has been shown to damage the heart. It is like between a rock and a hard place but desperation prevails,

nobody
        Participant

I’ve been eating a low-purine diet for a very long time and even gained weight on it so I have to dissent on the starving thing. But I for instance was (and am still) eating some legumes and cauliflower, mind you. It’s all about the total numbers so lots of not-great foods are OK in moderation. Some salt is fine as well (not eating any might actually be dangerous). I fail to see the benefit of corn syrup, actual sugar or other sweeteners so I would normally abstain but I’ve been eating lots of relatively low-fructose fruits even though they can be very sweet.
        One potential nutritional pitfall with a vegetarian diet is the lack of omega 3 fats if you’re not using the right oils (or grounding the right seeds). People afflicted with particular conditions might have more serious troubles with a vegetarian diet and of course a vegan diet has extra issues but so far as I know that is the most serious general issue.

I’d like to know how “Uloric has been shown to damage the heart”. I don’t care if some doctor said so because I can’t count how many doctors have bullshited me. What’s the evidence?

Leon Forte
        Participant

I have been gaining weight too but I believe that is from sweet potatoes and butter. I have eaten some of those items you mentioned and they affected my gout with flair-ups. With gout one has to know their triggers. For example, A person I knew could not eat whole wheat as every time he did he would get an attack. I could eat all I want without incidence. I can’t eat oats. I get an attack every time I eat it. Even some seeds give me an attack such as hemp hearts or chia seeds. Thanks for the advice on omega acids. I do take a b12 vitamin and multi-vitamin every day. I, of course, eat salt but watch it when I can. I eat fruit especially apples and cherries which are both supposed to be good.Still, I am suffering and will need medications such as colchizine or steroids to knock this low-grade attack out. I say low grade but it is very painful as a major attack is an ambulance trip to the emergency room. One was so bad they gave me a drug (I don’t recall the name) stronger than morphine. Right now the major pain is in the elbow. If it was in my feet I would have been in the ER by now.

nobody
        Participant

I wasn’t talking about triggers but about uric acid control. Lentils do tend to trigger me for instance but it isn’t much of an issue since I’m on a XOI (I probably wouldn’t be eating any otherwise). Some people simply take a large XOI dose and eat whatever they like but my liver would object so my diet is part of a balancing act between minor joint inflammation and slight elevation of liver function values.
        I’m not gaining weight now. If you’re prone to weight gain, perhaps pick low-fat or at least high-protein dairy products over butter and the chesses made with lots of cream. I would normally use vegetable oils in order to add fats to a dish.

Sharron Turner
      Participant

So has anyone used the black bean broth for pain relief? My hubby is drinking the tart cherry juice daily, almost totally eliminated soft drinks and eating more fruit and veggies. He really likes meat, so tends to revert back when not paying attention to what he eats. His left shoulder is having constant low grade pain when he moves it. Some positions like moving his arm behind his body cause greater pain.

We will have another uric acid next week and follow up with the doctor to see what his options are for this low grade pain in the shoulder.

Viewing 4 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.