Ice vs Heat Gout Treatment image

Review Heat Or Ice For Gout Relief

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Review Heat Or Ice For Gout Relief

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  John Hayes 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

GoutPal Victim
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1.84

Following Geroid’s comment on Heat Or Ice For Gout Relief, that page is flagged for review.

Geroid asked:

Can I put heat on wrist for gout?

We must, as usual, ensure the page meets latest GoutPal standards. Especially, it should identify which gout group is most affected by the subject of heat vs ice for gout pain relief. If uric acid is ignored, the sufferer is clearly a gout victim. But, recognizing that low temperatures might increase uric acid crystallization, is a step towards gout freedom.

Next step must be clear. There must be a choice of links for heat and for ice.

Maybe the ice choice should link to general advice for gout victims. Then, the heat choice can link to different ways to apply heat to gouty joints safely. As Geroid asks specifically about his wrist, advice should be clear that heat treatment can apply to any gouty joint.

Would you choose heat treatment or ice treatment for gouty joints? ❓
    What extra advice do you need about each different gout pain treatment? ❓

To encourage review of this page, please add this topic as one of your Favorites. To give this topic higher priority, add your comments as a reply below.

Donal.casey

Heat vs ice

Self inflicted attack after boozy weekend…sighs … Anyway am experimenting drinking copious amounts of water and some coffee in hot bath. Definitely better than ice. Feel that kidneys are flushing through but getting out of bath not long before excruciating again…too sore to walk to doctor!

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1173.53

There is a way that ice can benefit gout pain. Without adding to uric acid crystals. Because it can be very effective if you follow ice treatment with a warm compress.

Firstly, apply an ice pack to the affected area. Then, you should notice a reduction in gout pain and swelling. After that wrap the affected area in a warm towel, or apply a warm compress. But remember what a compress is! Because it is not a compression device, as I noted recently in an update to Heat Or Ice For Gout Relief.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 363.41

@keith

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t see any update to that page explaining the above? Maybe a mention of what centigrade uric acid crystals form at too? 🙂

Ryan

Ice Helped then Hurt…Weird, but True…

I got gout on Christmas and it was maybe a 5 out of 10.

When I used ice, it basically cured it. It was suddenly gone after the ice treatment. The pain was gone followed quickly by the mobility of joint returning. Then…the next day, gout started in the other foot. And this time, it was about a 6 or 7. I used iced and it immediately went to a 10 out of 10 then the rest of my foot swelled up.

On max Aleve and Ibuprophen and pot and nothing is helping much. I elevated it and rested it.

How do I reduce the uric acid levels??

Jonathan Shirley
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -2.23

Relief from gout with ice or cherry juice?

I have had gout problems within big toe even in the knee and left index finger. Yet, a question on if ice is the cure since it does help in lowering swelling. Or if I need black cherry juice to prevent this.

I have used these methods before I believe it’s the best way to preventing this from returning.

I just wish to find the best way.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 502.46

If you find ice is helpful, that’s great. It won’t prevent the problem from returning though.
    Cherry juice might help to prevent the problem from returning but is likely to be insufficient unless other measures are taken.

Have you been diagnosed with gout?
    Has your blood been tested for the amount of uric acid in it?

John Hayes
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -2.23

Gout heat or ice

My experience may not be generally applicable to everyone. I am just reporting my thoughts on the subject.

3 days after taking 3 colchicine pills still sore and considering taking 3 more. Instead I thought I would try soaking in my hot tub at 103 degrees long enough to bring up my core temp and then use the foot jets for massage. While doing that I decided to up the temp to 104. Then I noticed my spa heater outlet was much hotter and decided that while I didn’t want my core temp to go over 104 degrees I didn’t see why my gouty toe couldn’t take more heat. Using the jets mostly around all my foot I thought would be helpful be for circulation which with the temp dissolve some crystals. My toe looked really bad when I got out but after it cooled down the pain was reduced . I did the same thing the next night ( last night) and the following morning it still looked swollen and red but almost pain free.

I am writing this as I take a break from yard work and getting hydrated and wanted to look up temp V’s urate solubility and found myself here. My personal conclusion is that for me it was very helpful and I will likely try it again. I did prehydrate and drank a lot of water after to rehydrate. I can’t say how well this would at the beginning of a flare but recovery time seemed much shorter than any previous flare.

My concept of raising my core body temp and massaging the whole foot for increased circulation to dissolve any crystals quicker while also using cherry juice and water before and after seemed to work for me. This method ( high temp spa ) might be dangerous for some people . I am used to 103 degrees as I use that temp when I need to stretch when my back hurts.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you need more information, get it from Keith Taylor’s Log-in Help.