Smoking and Gout media

smoking cigarettes=lower risk of gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum smoking cigarettes=lower risk of gout

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mazzaroth man
      Participant

This is actually weird.
      What do you think guys?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26714165

“CONCLUSION:

Current smoking is associated with lower risk of gout in men in this Asian cohort.”

I’m Asian by the way.

Interestingly, I quit smoking Jan 2017, and by Feb I got my gout flares, till now… well till last week, been gout free for a week. (I went back smoking a stick or 2 daily, dont tell my wife)

Cigarette Smoking and the Risk of Incident Gout in a Prospective Cohort Study Images.

Smoking and Gout Study: Participation Flowchart

Smoking and Gout Study: Participation Flowchart

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 1 Characteristics

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 1 Characteristics

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 2 Smoking Status

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 2 Smoking Status

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 3 BMI

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 3 Body Mass Index

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 4 Uric Acid

Smoking and Gout Study: Table 4 Uric Acid

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Thank you Mazzaroth man, weird indeed, and very interesting!

I’ve added the images from that study to your post. Also, I had a look for some related studies, and I found 2 similar studies about gout and smoking.
      – From Oman in 2008 Serum Uric Acid in Smokers. The authors point out that risk of heart disease rises as uric acid falls. So, probably not a good idea!
      – From Britain, in 2014 Cigarette smoking is associated with a reduction in the risk of incident gout: results from the Framingham Heart Study original cohort. I’m uncertain what the authors are suggesting when they say “We do not intend to suggest people take up smoking in order to prevent gout.”

Interestingly, in 2006, EULAR, the European rheumatologists, recommended: “3. Associated comorbidity and risk factors such as hyperlipidaemia, hypertension, hyperglycaemia, obesity and smoking should be addressed as an important part of the management of gout.”

Although there is no direct evidence to support smoking as a risk factor for gout, smoking strongly associates with alcohol consumption, which may in turn associate with gout. Importantly, however, smoking is a modifiable risk factor for cardiac and peripheral vascular disease, as well as many other diseases, and therefore needs to be addressed in a holistic approach to patient management.

So, expect smoking to become compulsory for European gout sufferers any day soon. (Let’s keep Brexit in General Discussion ).

I don’t need to include images because I’ve linked to full reports. But, here’s one anyway:

Smoking and Gout media

Smoking and Gout? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.