Taking Colchicine on holiday

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Taking Colchicine on holiday

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  d q 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 73.73
    GoutPal Enthusiast Badge Rank: Enthusiast

Right now I suspect I may be in the throes of another attack 🙁 I just keep saying in my head “Really?!” in an incredulous tone because as I told you before on here uric acid is 0.27 mm/ol. But as Keith pointed out maybe still old uric acid crystals dissolving, I’ve been on Allopurinol for 6 months now so hope that is the case. I am due to go to Turkey in September for a little over a week, really do not want an attack while I am there, is it okay to take twice daily colchicine while I am there? When I first started with Allopurinol I was on it for nearly 6 weeks and during a holiday to the states it was very comforting to know it was keeping any attacks at bay. What do others think? Thank you

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 470.84
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Makes sense.
    If you’ve been on the same colchicine dose for 6 weeks, you know exactly what to expect. If you got some side effects last time, you might want to try a smaller dose. But there’s no particular reason to avoid going back on colchicine for a couple of weeks.
    You don’t need to start taking colchicine now in order to get some protection in September. But you could take it today because you feel an attack is starting.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 340.34

Yes, indeed you can however try to keep distance between yourself and sick people especially hospitals prior to going and whilst you are there as colchicine reduces your immunity capabilities.

One thing I would like to ask is have your attacks become less intense since starting allopurinol 6 months ago or are they still the same on the pain scale? If they are getting less painful allopurinol is indeed working and your crystals are getting less and less. If they are not however then you are still going through the primary stages of debulking.

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant

Luckily I didn’t have too side effects with colchicine just some slight upset stomach in the early days and insomnia strangely, but now I’m quite used to it so I agree with you both I would definitely take it may be a few days before I go away I find on holiday that my immune system never suffered any way of all the fresh air sunshine and healthy food which no doubt Turkey will have lots of fruits and vegetables

Since starting allopurinol in February I have had to further attacks one in May one in July they may one wasn’t very good but the July one definitely went away a lot quicker in fact after 2 days of rest and diclofenac I was up and around again like normal so yes fingers crossed! Thank you and definitely ignoring my previous doctor he told me to up my dose of allopurinol 300 mg at such a low level of uric acid I’m not even going to go there!

d q
    Participant

That’s good news – Well done.

Yes, if you have control of uric acid at lower doses of Allopurinol then you are fine to stay there. Just make sure you monitor your Blood, Kidney and Liver function levels with your regular uric acid tests.

Out of curiosity, what dose of Diclofenac do you take and for how long after the attack do you continue for?

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant

What has always worked for me it’s just to get straight onto the diclofenac tablets they’re the diclofenac 50mg. I just take three times a day while I’ve got an acute flare up and then normally two days or so afterwards even when I feel like I’m 100% out of the woods never experienced any side effects so far and yes I have all my liver functions done regularly and all brilliant

d q
    Participant

Perfect – well done. 🙂

Turkey! My sister has been to Istanbul and Borsa and says it’s lovely.

I look forward to going one day 🙂

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.