Iron & Inflammation image

Is iron overload linked to high uric acid?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Is iron overload linked to high uric acid?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Junior GoutPal
      Participant

I have high uric acid and I have been reading about its connection to high iron overload. I have been suffering for several months with gout. Just wondering if someone else might have had this condition and how it was treated.

Deanna

GoutPal Victim
      Participant

Brief summary, been suffering with gout for about twenty years gradually getting worse, last attack was in both legs at the same time and lasted nearly two months. Found this site and questioned whether excess iron could be the cause of my gout so got some blood tests done, results below:

Serum Ferritin: 226ug/L
      Serum Iron: 14umol/L
      Saturation Iron binding capacity: 58umol/L
      Iron saturation: 24%

These were done as the gout was going away and about a week after I started on a low iron diet. They don’t look too high but could iron still be the cause of my gout? Don’t know if it is relevent but I have found niacin to be a gout trigger.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Iron contributes to gout attacks, so limiting in your diet is good, also do not take multivitamins that have iron in them.

GoutPal Victim
        Participant

Not taking any multi-vitamins. However avoiding the fortified iron in flour and bread is more difficult.

Just questioning whether ferritin level of >200 could contribute to gout or not? As you can see, no other tests show indications of iron overload.

GoutPal Victim
        Participant

Since going on a low iron diet, including eating red cabbage and drinking wheat grass, my gout had gone away. My serum ferritin is now down to 132.

However, my doctor insists iron is just an inflammatory marker and cannot be the actual cause of my gout. Any suggestions how I can prove that iron is actually the cause?

Keith Taylor
        Participant

Hi NickC,

You have helped turn gout and iron back into the latest hot topic for me.

I’ve still got some reviewing and summarizing to do, but I’ve collected most of the facts and discussions together now.

For me, your blood test results are a fascinating addition to this. But at the moment, I know very little about managing iron levels. I’m going to work out what those 4 different results mean, and try get it all in context.

From what I’ve seen so far, I think reducing serum ferritin to 100 has a significant positive effect on uric acid. At least, in some cases.

You’re the second person to mention wheat grass. It’s been suggested that this is the best chelator. That’s another important aspect iron management that I need to learn a lot about.

I can’t thank you enough for the information you’ve already given. I hope I can squeeze more facts and insight from you, in the form of comments at Improving Gout & Iron Guidelines.

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Hi Deanna,

I’ve got lots of facts about gout and iron on my Gout Facts website. The most prominent is Gout and Iron Revisited. As well as that, you can follow links from that page, or use the search box at the top of each page.

You will see plenty of general information. It’s a subject that fascinates me. But, it’s very difficult to suggest general treatments for gout that is caused, or made worse, by excess iron. There are so many variables.

There’s also a lack of specific guidelines about acceptable iron intake. And, blood test results are hard to understand.

Having said all that, I’m very interested in researching more about gout and iron. Like most aspects of gout, it needs individual assessment. And, a personal treatment plan.

As far as I know, the only treatment that has been proved to be effective is blood donation. But, some types of iron overload have other treatments.

Last year, I started Improving Gout & Iron Guidelines. But, there’s not a lot of interest in that. Perhaps you can change that, Deanna.

Tell us more about your experiences with iron and gout. Perhaps it will encourage more people to share their thoughts. Then, we might be able to suggest the best gout treatment for different types of iron overload.

d q
      Participant

Hi Deana,

Being a thalasemmia patient we have to constantly monitor our iron levels.
      How are you checking iron levels, you need to be sure you are doing the right blood tests as ferritin levels alone are not enough for accurate results. There are techniques / medication to remove excess iron from the body like ‘Chelton therapy’ which you can read or ask your haematologist about. Keep us informed on how things go.

James

Dave

Iron overload

I am 52 and have been diagnosed with hemochromatosis when I was 20. Got my first gout attack when 37 even though I have been giving blood 5 to 6 times a year.

My iron levels have been in check but still get gout attacks a couple times a year and getting worse. Reluctant to go on allopurinol for liver reasons but finally gave in and recently started.

My uric acid levels have always been between 9 and 10 so really interested in seeing a change. Have to say would be more concerned with getting uric acid levels lower than iron levels.

Dave

Baz

Hi all, I suffered with gout for many years and ended up on yet another pill …

It has cured the gout but looking at all gout sufferers they claim to have swollen or red flaky joints etc , I have only suffered through extreme pain …a recent blood test showed high ferritin levels which apparently I’ve always had the iron in the ferritin attacks the joints the cure is removal of blood til the levels come down, whatever the word for the count is mine were 1200 and should have been 50 / 100.

I thought I had arthritis and gout but after 4 veinasectomy ( blood removal ) my arthritis has virtually gone, so off to the docs to see if I can get rid of allopurinol tablets.

Just a thought you might have same problem and a blood test will tell you

Good luck Baz …..

[posted from feedback form]

Keith Taylor
        Participant

?veinasectomy?

I suspect that procedure is venipuncture (aka venepuncture):

the puncture of a vein as part of a medical procedure, typically to withdraw a blood sample or for an intravenous injection.

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.