Onion and Garlic for Gout

Onions and Garlic for Gout Dieters

Stopping Gout Together Forums GoutPal Suggestion Box Onions and Garlic for Gout Dieters

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Taylor
      Participant

There’s an update to GoutPal’s gout and onions page. It’s a new report about a natural compound found in many plants. And, especially in onions.

GoutPal Dieters know that they have a healthy diet. And, they want to tweak that healthy diet to lower uric acid nearer to their safe target. So, onions should be able to help, if managed properly.

Researchers claim:

Daily supplementation of 500 mg quercetin, containing the bioavailable amount of quercetin as present in approximately 100 g red onions, for 4 weeks, significantly reduces elevated plasma uric acid concentrations in healthy males.

Therefore, I should update the gout and onions page. Personally, I think it’s best to review quercetin in wider terms. But, I’d prefer to see what GoutPal Dieters think, before I make any changes. I haven’t done a comprehensive search of related pages yet. But, I feel I should review Tomatoes And Gout, at the same time.

If this is important to you, please do the usual, and mark this topic as one of your Favorites. If you really want me to work on this idea, you need to explain why. Please add your thoughts as a reply, below.

Do you have questions, experiences, or opinions about quercetin, onions, and gout? Please share them below.

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Also, in that gout and onions page, I mention garlic. Unfortunately, I cannot find any research that investigates garlic consumption in gout sufferers. But there is a recent report using rats [1].

In that study, researchers discovered that water-based garlic extract reduces both uric acid and inflammation. But, this needs to be repeated with humans, preferably gout sufferers, before we can be sure of any real benefits. Also, we need such gouty human experiments to indicate a dose of garlic extract that is both safe and effective.

Garlic and Uric Acid Reference
      1. Nasiri, Abolfazl, Nasrin Ziamajidi, Roghayeh Abbasalipourkabir, Mohammad Taghi Goodarzi, Massoud Saidijam, Hamid Behrouj, and Sara Solemani Asl. “Beneficial effect of aqueous garlic extract on inflammation and oxidative stress status in the kidneys of type 1 diabetic rats.” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 32, no. 3 (2017): 329-336.

Brad Keck
      Participant

Keith, Thanks for the pointer to onions and quercetin. I am a big cherry juice fan but was not aware of the potential of onions to help manage uric acid. While the results are not as dramatic as I might like, I did find a recent paper – out of U. Leeds – that does show a benefit from onion consumption on blood uric acid levels. This article is: British Journal of Nutrition, Volume 115, Issue 5; 14 March 2016 , pp. 800-806. The title is: “Quercetin lowers plasma uric acid in pre-hyperuricaemic males: a randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial.” It would be interesting to see teh effect on higher uric acid individuals – hopefully someone is working on it!

Cheers for the New Year!

Brad

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘GoutPal Suggestion Box’ is closed to new topics and replies.